The National Research Council (NRC) offers state-of-the-art laboratories and facilities to meet a wide variety of indoor environment testing requirements.
When combined with the NRC's proven experience and expertise in research and technology development, we provide a complete range of services needed to develop and evaluate the performance of new technologies. Once deployed, these new technologies become key components of cost-effective, energy-efficient indoor environments that can also improve the comfort, satisfaction and health of building occupants.
Ensuring occupant comfort – both in commercial and residential applications – is often a key to the success of your construction projects and new building technologies. At the NRC we offer a wide variety of testing facilities to meet your product development and evaluation requirements including:
- Floor and wall sound transmission facilities to measure airborne (ASTM E90, ISO 140-2) and impact (ASTM E492, ISO 140-3) sound transmission through a single building element in isolation
- Flanking sound transmission test building to measure airborne (ASTM E336, ISO 10140-4) and impact (ASTM E1007, ISO 10140-7) sound insulation between room of a completed building
- Fully-instrumented research house to measure the efficacy of residential heating and ventilation systems
- Indoor environment test laboratory to measure the efficacy of heating and ventilation systems in an office situation and their impact on occupant comfort
- Daylighting test laboratory to assess the efficacy of methods to deliver natural light and control solar load in a building
Quality of air
- Materials emission chambers to measure the off-gassing of organic chemicals from building products and consumer goods
- Mould growth and characterization laboratories to assess species and measure growth rates of mould on a variety of materials
- Indoor air research facility to assess the impact of ventilation and contaminant removal strategies applicable to residential constructions
Why work with us
The NRC's indoor environment testing facilities, unique in North America, provide you the most advanced laboratory and testing facilities available. We also have a wealth of practical experience, research knowledge, and know-how.
The result? Working with the NRC's world-class testing facilities you have access to the most realistic conditions, quantifiable results, and the proven data you require to assess your product's performance, meet industry certification standards and accelerate market adoption.