- Ottawa, ON, OntarioCanada
As of November 4 2022, the Quebec Construction Code, Chapter I – Building, and National Building Code of Canada 2015 (amended) is available to Quebec's code users. This new edition is published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) on behalf of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec.
Updated requirements for buildings and facilities in Quebec
The document sets out technical requirements for all construction work on buildings and facilities intended for use by the public in Quebec.
Numerous updates have been incorporated in this edition to improve the level of health, safety, accessibility, fire and structural protection, energy efficiency and water-use efficiency provided by buildings and facilities. Significant updates include:
- design requirements for barrier-free bathtubs and showers have been revised to enhance safety and accessibility;
- the integrity of fire separations has been improved to reduce the risk of fire spread;
- fire alarm and detection systems have been improved to facilitate the safe and timely evacuation of building occupants;
- the apparent sound transmission class (ASTC) has been introduced to enhance the sound isolation between dwelling units;
- provisions for wind, snow and ice loads have been updated, increasing the climate resilience of buildings;
- minimum distances of outdoor air intakes from sources of contaminants have been specified to improve indoor air quality for the safety of building occupants; and
- design requirements for stairs, ramps, handrails and guards have been updated to reduce the risk of falls.
The document contains both the new edition of Chapter I – Building, of the Quebec Construction Code and an amended version of the National Building Code of Canada 2015 that indicates the changes adopted by Quebec. With its user-friendly format, the document is an essential resource for designers, contractors, owner-builders and regulatory officials in Quebec.
Access electronic and print formats
The Quebec Construction Code, Chapter I – Building, and National Building Code of Canada 2015 (amended) is available now in electronic and print formats. To download the document in a free electronic format, visit the NRC publications archive. To purchase the document in print format, place your order online through the NRC virtual store.
Codes Canada Publication Sales