We cultivate nanoscience platforms that lead to revolutionary technologies and applications to enhance human health, the environment and society's technological future. In the pursuit of innovation and advancement, we strategically draw upon foundational expertise across science disciplines such as chemistry, biology, physics, material science, and engineering. We advance Canadian innovations by deploying cutting-edge nanoscience, developing expert microscopy capabilities, and by establishing and leveraging national and international collaborations and partnerships.
Services and information
Expertise and facility offerings
- Electrostatically regulated atomic-scale electroconductivity device
- Thermally degradable adhesives with cellulose and related methods of manufacture and use
- Two- and three-terminal molecular electronic devices with ballistic electron
Developing nano-enabled solutions to Canada's pressing health, environment, and technology challenges, we deliver world-leading microscopy innovations and cutting-edge nanoscience and technology platforms in key research areas including:
- Developmental and analytical microscopy – insights into new ways to see and manipulate the nano world
- Biomedical nanotechnologies – nanotechnology for improving Canadians' quality of life
- Detection and automation – design, fabrication, integration, and automation of nano-enabled sensor platforms
We provide advanced research and comprehensive technical services to our clients thanks to our multidisciplinary expertise which encompasses nanobiology, optoelectronics, nano/microfabrication and specialized chemical synthesis. Our state-of-the-art nanoscale imaging capabilities feature one-of-a-kind instrumentation, enabling experiments unavailable in commercial units. We specialize in nanoscale instrumentation for R&D and commercial applications and devise novel techniques to solve the toughest characterization challenges. Our extensive capabilities are enhanced by collaborations with national and international leaders in academia, government, and industry.
There are a number of ways to work with the NRC's Nanotechnology Research Centre. We are happy to partner with new clients and other researchers to collaborate on projects where complementary skills and expertise are required. The Nanotechnology Research Centre also makes its modern instrumentation available to clients and collaborators, some of which can be used by clients directly. Alternatively, our qualified and experienced staff can carry out the tests on your behalf. To discuss how we can best support you, please contact us for more information.
- The effect of branched alkyl chain length on the properties of supramolecular organogels from mono-N-alkylated primary oxalamides
- Impact of reversible proton insertion on the electrochemistry of electrode materials operating in mild aqueous electrolytes: a case study with TiO₂
- Biomaterial inks and bioinks for fabricating 3D biomimetic lung tissue: a delicate balancing act between biocompatibility and mechanical printability
- Graphene quantum dot bearing liquid droplets for ultrasensitive fluorescence-based detection of nitroaromatics
- Quercetin and resveratrol differentially decrease expression of the high-affinity IgE receptor (FcεRI) by human and mouse mast cells