Delivered by the NRC's Advanced Electronics and Photonics Research Centre, the High-throughput and Secure Networks Challenge program is developing disruptive technologies and technologies that improve the cost and performance of delivering secure, affordable and high-speed internet services in rural and remote communities across Canada.
Going beyond the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's universal service objective of 50 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload with unlimited data, the vision of this Challenge program is "1 Gb/s everywhere".
High-throughput and Secure Networks Challenge program (Transcript)
NRC High-throughput and Secure Networks (HTSN) funding call
HTSN is launching a new call for proposals. The deadline to apply is August 1, 2023. Contact us at NRC.HTSN-RHDS.CNRC@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca for application instructions or if you have any questions.
About the program
Areas of focus
The High-throughput and Secure Networks Challenge program works with stakeholders to develop technologies enabling the implementation of next-generation, and next-after-next-generation high-speed telecommunication networks. Through collaborative partnerships with key stakeholders, the program will develop disruptive solutions in:
- The Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces are looking to develop several research collaborations focusing on defence and security applications, specifically: quantum sensing and sensors, quantum communications, and quantum computing, simulations and algorithms through their IDEaS program.
The NRC's High-throughput and Secure Networks Challenge program is made up of a highly-skilled and multi-disciplinary team possessing a broad range of expertise in photonics, business and advisory services, and program management.
- Lynne Genik, Program Director
- Dr. Sylvain Raymond, Deputy Director and Optical Satellite Communications Lead
- Dr. Boris Lamontagne, Photonics for Fibre and Fixed Wireless Access Lead
- Dr. Aimee Gunther, Quantum Communications Lead
- Dr. Marina Gertsvolf, Network Metrology and Timing Lead
- Dr. Rebecca Trueman, Challenge Officer
If you are interested in collaborating with us, making investments in this area, or if you have any questions, please contact:
Program Director, High-throughput and Secure Networks Challenge program
Follow the National Research Council of Canada on social media.
Twitter: @nrc_cnrc on Twitter
Instagram: @nrc_cnrc on Instagram
Search for: #NRCChallengeRuralConnect