Roles and responsibilities
- Team Leader: Developmental and Analytical Microscopy: Managing a team of 8 individuals for the research center. Our team focuses on analytical microscopy and hardware and software development to enable cutting edge research.
- Instrument Design Engineer: Building scientific equiopment to further the interests of Canadian scientists. Scanning tunneling microscopes, solar simulators, creep free movers, field ion microscopes and most recently a transmission electron microscope.
Current research and/or projects
- Creep free scanning for scanning tunneling microscopy
- Open source transmission electron microscopy
Research and/or project statements
- We have developed a piezo mover and scanner that is creep free for atomic resolution scanning
- We are building a tranmission electron and ion microscope for use by universities and researchers and for further development and understanding of electron microscopy. Being open source, It will also allow others to build one for their labs and research.
- Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, SAIT, 1994
- B.Sc. Engineering Physics, University of Alberta, 2003
- P.Eng. APEGA
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (A.M.E.)
Kotani, A., Harada, K., Malac, M., Salomons, M., Hayashida, M., & Mori, S. (2018). Observation of FeGe skyrmions by electron phase microscopy with hole-free phase plate. AIP Advances, 8(5), 055216.
Huff, T. R., Labidi, H., Rashidi, M., Koleini, M., Achal, R., Salomons, M. H., & Wolkow, R. A. (2017). Atomic white-out: Enabling atomic circuitry through mechanically induced bonding of single hydrogen atoms to a silicon surface. ACS nano, 11(9), 8636-8642.
Wood, J. A., Urban, R., Salomons, M., Cloutier, M., Wolkow, R. A., & Pitters, J. L. (2016). Iridium single atom tips fabricated by field assisted reactive gas etching. Applied Surface Science, 367, 277-280.
Labidi, H., Kupsta, M., Huff, T., Salomons, M., Vick, D., Taucer, M., ... & Wolkow, R. A. (2015). New fabrication technique for highly sensitive qPlus sensor with well-defined spring constant. Ultramicroscopy, 158, 33-37.
Salomons, M., Martins, B. V., Zikovsky, J., & Wolkow, R. A. (2014). Four-probe measurements with a three-probe scanning tunneling microscope. Review of Scientific Instruments, 85(4), 045126.
Sun, Q., Wolkow, R. A., & Salomons, M. (2009). Low Frequency Vibration Isolation Through an Active-on-Active Approach: Coupling Effects. Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 131(6), 061010.
Zareian Jahromi, S. A., Salomons, M., Sun, Q., & Wolkow, R. A. (2008). Prediction of the resonant frequency of piezoelectric tube scanners through three-dimensional finite element modeling of a tube assembly. Review of Scientific Instruments, 79(7), 076104.
Previous work experience
March 2004-July 2005
University of Alberta Department of Physics
Instrument Design Engineer in Training (EIT)
Summer 2001, 2002, 2003
University of Alberta Nanofab
July 1996- May 1999
Little Red Air Service
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
May 1994- July 1996
Apprentice Aircraft Maintenance Engineer