Direct access to codes and user's guides in electronic format!
Codes and user's guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications in the archive.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
The User's Guide – NBC 2010: Structural Commentaries (Part 4 of Division B) is intended to help Code users understand and apply the design requirements provided in Part 4 of Division B of the National Building Code of Canada 2010 (NBC). It contains valuable background information and, in some cases, suggested approaches to certain design questions related to, for example, limit states design, snow loads, rain loads and design for seismic effects. Topics addressed include, among others, the intent of the post-disaster building classification, live loads due to use and occupancy, extensive material to support the changes related to design for earthquake and more detailed figures for snow loads on buildings.
Table of contents
- Commentary A: Limit States Design
- Commentary B: Structural Integrity
- Commentary C: Structural Integrity of Firewalls
- Commentary D: Deflection and Vibration Criteria for Serviceability and Fatigue Limit States
- Commentary E: Effects of Deformations in Building Components
- Commentary F: Live Loads
- Commentary G: Snow Loads
- Commentary H: Rain Loads
- Commentary I: Wind Load and Effects
- Commentary J: Design for Seismic Effects
- Commentary K: Foundations
- Commentary L: Application of NBC Part 4 of Division B for the Structural Evaluation and Upgrading of Existing Buildings
- Soft Cover $45.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive