Call us toll-free at 1-877-994-4727 to learn more about NRC IRAP.
Share your feedback
We want to provide you with the best possible service. Fill out our feedback form to let us know how we can improve.
Fuel your innovation
If you're a small or medium-sized Canadian business pursuing technology-driven innovation, you may be eligible for financial support from NRC IRAP. We provide this funding to eligible firms under our technology innovation projects and youth employment strategy programs.
NRC IRAP provides funding to support research and development projects at various stages of the innovation cycle. In 2018-2019, NRC IRAP was mandated to expand its support to include funding for larger research and development projects. This increased funding support will make it easier for small and medium-sized Canadian businesses to access the support they need to grow and expand their companies.
Am I eligible for financial support?
If you meet the following criteria, connect with NRC IRAP by calling 1-877-994-4727 to find out if your business is eligible for NRC IRAP support:
- you are an incorporated, profit-oriented small or medium-sized business in Canada
- you have 500 or fewer full-time equivalent employees
- you plan to pursue growth and profit by developing and commercializing innovative, technology-driven new or improved products, services or processes in Canada
What happens next?
If we determine that NRC IRAP support could benefit your development and growth strategies, we will refer you to an industrial technology advisor (ITA).
Understanding your business
Your ITA may meet with you in person to understand your business in more detail, including your business strategy, the issues you face, opportunities for growth and your plans for the future. This information will help the ITA develop a diagnostic to identify perceived gaps and recommend strategies for addressing them.
Developing a project proposal
Following your ITA's assessment of your business and proposed project, they may invite you to develop a project proposal for financial support through NRC IRAP. We will assess your proposal within three months, taking into consideration:
- the project's technical aspects and potential impacts on your business
- your business, management, and financial capacity
- your assessed potential to achieve expected results
- your commercialization plan
- the overall market and commercialization opportunity
- the anticipated benefits to Canada
If successful, you'll receive the financial contribution to share the costs of your R&D project activities, and you will need to submit monthly reimbursement claims to NRC IRAP. Your ITA will support you throughout your project.