We cultivate nanoscience platforms that lead to revolutionary technologies and applications to enhance human health, the environment and society's technological future. In the pursuit of innovation and advancement, we strategically draw upon foundational expertise across science disciplines such as chemistry, biology, physics, material science, and engineering. We advance Canadian innovations by deploying cutting-edge nanoscience, developing expert microscopy capabilities, and by establishing and leveraging national and international collaborations and partnerships.
Services and information
- NRC-University of Alberta Nanotechnology Initiative: Collaboration to expand Canadian nanotechnology capacity and foster breakthrough research. An investment of $10,000,000 within the span of 3 years is allocated to 9 projects aligned with such strategic priorities as immunotherapy, energy harvesting and storage, photonics, electronics and nanodevices.
Developing nano-enabled solutions to Canada's pressing health, environment, and technology challenges, we deliver world-leading microscopy innovations and cutting-edge nanoscience and technology platforms in key research areas including:
- intelligent analytical microscopy
- nanobiology applications
- nano and atom-scale electronics
We provide advanced research and comprehensive technical services to our clients thanks to our multidisciplinary expertise which encompasses nanobiology, optoelectronics, nano/microfabrication and specialized chemical synthesis. Our state-of-the-art nanoscale imaging capabilities feature one-of-a-kind instrumentation, enabling experiments unavailable in commercial units. We specialize in nanoscale instrumentation for R&D and commercial applications and devise novel techniques to solve the toughest characterization challenges. Our extensive capabilities are enhanced by collaborations with national and international leaders in academia, government, and industry.
- Strain-induced uniaxial alignment of cellulose nanocrystals in polymer nanocomposites
- CVD grown nitrogen doped graphene is an exceptional visible-light driven photocatalyst for surface catalytic reactions
- 3D observation of chromosome scaffold structure using a 360° electron tomography sample holder
- Optomechanical spring enhanced mass sensing
- Microscopic characterization of antifouling membrane coated by core-shell star block copolymers