We are committed to fostering innovation through high-precision measurement science and advancements in metrology. We are the federal agency responsible for official time.
Our clients and partners rely on us for accurate, traceable measurements that define the national standard and are in line with international requirements.
Our staff, which includes Canada's Chief Metrologist, offers unparalleled metrology knowledge and expertise.
Services and information
- Comprehensive suite of mass spectrometers for speciation and quantification
- Precision instrumentation for mass measurement
- World-leading single-ion optical frequency determination
Facilities for rent
- Biotoxin and chemical metrology
- Black carbon metrology
- Electrical power measurements
- Electrical standards
- Frequency and time
- Ionizing radiation standards
- Mechanical metrology
- Nanoscale metrology
- Photometry, radiometry and thermometry
- We undertake collaborative projects and activities in support of NRC programs
Applications and tools
Technical and advisory services
Certified Reference Materials
We are universally respected for providing trusted measurement science, advice, and technical services to government and industrial clients, enabling both product and process innovation in areas where precise and reliable measurements are critical to success. High precision and credible measurements can have a significant impact on market success, enabling our clients to better compete, conform, and connect on a global stage.
- Determination of the isotopic composition of hafnium using MC-ICPMS
- Ion clock busts into new precision regime
- Phylogenetic analysis and yessotoxin profiles of Gonyaulax spinifera cultures from the Benguela Current upwelling system
- Structure elucidation and relative toxicity of (24R)-24-hydroxyyessotoxin from a Namibian isolate of Gonyaulax spinifera
- Changes in the physical properties of silver nanoparticles in cell culture media mediate cellular toxicity and uptake