The NRC is working with partners to review the safety of ventilation systems of enclosed lifeboats used in Arctic waters.
- Better understand how enclosed lifeboats would actually operate during a real-life emergency situation
- Prepare a report on lifeboat ventilation to be presented to the International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- Review existing studies performed on survival crafts in Arctic conditions
- Interpret the results
- Provide recommendations
- The NRC's report will become part of the International Maritime Organization's discussion on the issue of lifeboat ventilation.
- Building upon years of excellent Canadian research, this project will have a direct impact on marine safety considerations at the international level.