In September 2019, the Tŝilhqot'in National Government's language department began a project to expand its language database of audio recordings and transcriptions, extend its suite of language applications, and build language technology and transcription capability in the community.
The project gave several young Tŝilhqot'in a chance to work with elders and language experts on language revitalization, gaining priceless exposure to their ancestral language on the job, as well as the opportunity to start a career in an information or language technologies field. The team significantly advanced the community's language technology assets, and shared their experience with others who may be interested in similar initiatives.
The work was supported in part by the NRC's Indigenous Languages Technology Project.
- Build language technology and transcription capacity in the Tŝilhqot'in community
- Expand the Tŝilhqot'in audio and text database to include many speakers representing all dialects
- Implement new digital asset management software and hardware
- Implement new rapid language documentation software
- Transcriptions of recordings with elders from the 1970s to 1990s
- Transcriptions of several generations of speakers from today's community; will be linked to the Tŝilhqot'in morphological dictionary
- Categorized vocabulary lists to accompany legends, news stories, weather updates and other important topics
- Digital versions of Tŝilhqot'in Alphabet and A Teacher's Guide to Tŝilhqot'in Literacy Activities
- Revamped Tŝilhqot'in Language Website
- Revamped Tŝilhqot'in Alphabet App
- Tŝilhqot'in Book Reader prototype
- Tŝilhqot'in War Film Research Portal prototype
- Improved in-house infrastructure for onsite data management
- Bella Alphonse, Language Advisor
- Justin Bambrick, Technical Assistant, Front-End Development
- Blake Sellars, Summer Student, Web Development
- Racine Jeff, Administrative Assistant, Data Entry
- Braeden Boyd, Technical Assistant, Audio Tech
- Riley Myers, IT Tech
- Aaron Plahn, Language App Developer and Language Technology Manager