Emerging technologies face significant impediments to market entry when adequate metrology is not in place to support them. The Measurement Science for Emerging Technologies (MSET) program fosters national innovation and the responsible introduction of new measurement technologies into the marketplace.
The MSET program addresses critical issues facing Canada and the global economy when new technology solutions are required, where conventional measurement approaches do not apply and where existing metrology capabilities are limited. In support of these goals, the program deploys extreme measurement capabilities and formulates new measurement science standards to strengthen Canada's national measurement system by ensuring that it is poised to address the needs of tomorrow's economy.
Collaborate with us
Collaborate with us on strategic research projects to help de-risk your innovative ideas, reduce your start-up costs and accelerate your commercial development timelines.
MSET is seeking collaborators in the fields of nanoscale measurement, environmental metrology, and biological metrology.
NRC serves as an integrated R&D extension to your team. We can de risk product development and add significant value to your projects by offering state-of-the-art facilities, and by mobilizing highly credible metrology infrastructure and intelligence.
As a partner, you can rely on us for accurate, traceable measurements that define the national standard and are in line with international requirements. We are uniquely qualified to conduct measurement research and provide metrological services.
We build relationships across industry and government to ensure that we are able to effectively and efficiently serve the marketplace.
Technical and advisory services
The MSET program addresses critical issues facing Canada and the global economy where new technology solutions are required, where conventional measurement approaches do not apply, and where existing metrology capabilities are limited.
The program aims to strengthen the national measurement system by ensuring it is poised to address the needs of tomorrow's economy.
It focuses on:
- Black carbon metrology
- technical services include calibration of BC mass measurement instruments
- we work with government and industry to improve the uncertainty associated with their measurement of black carbon properties
- Nanoscale measurement
- characterization of manufactured nanomaterials including cellulose nanocrystals, carbon nanotubes, and graphene
- develop new reference materials for nanoscale materials
- address emerging measurement needs in biotechnology, including vaccine adjuvants, antibody drug conjugates, and mass spectroscopy of proteins and peptides
Partners and clients have access to NRC Metrology Research Centre national research and technology development facilities located in Ottawa, Halifax, and Edmonton. These world-class facilities feature leading-edge equipment, such as:
- precision instrumentation for mass measurement (vacuum and watt balances);
- world-leading single-ion optical frequency determination;
- a comprehensive suite of mass spectrometers for speciation and quantification; and
- a variety of advanced microscopes that open the door to the nanoscale.
NRC Metrology owns a number of software programs, processes and technologies that are available for licensing, including our radiation simulation software. To discuss licensing opportunities that fit your specific needs and conditions, contact us today.
Our services benefit scientists and researchers in any industry where high-precision measurement is critical to market success. To find out how we can support your business, contact:
All industries involved in emerging technologies.