The National Research Council of Canada's (NRC) High-efficiency Mining program leverages its expertise and technologies to develop solutions to current and future mining challenges. In today's mining operations, increasing productivity and efficiency while reducing environmental footprint is the new approach.
A century-rich wealth of NRC technology development from sectors such as aerospace, defense and digital technologies, to name a few, is now channeled through the High-efficiency Mining program. That depth creates a strong platform to tackle the most complex challenges facing the mining industry today and into the future. This uniqueness gives the program the capability to work with industrial partners and collaborators to elevate the market readiness of sophisticated technologies in the age of digitalization, from concept through to commercialization to adoption by the industry.
- Smart resource extraction through a series of sensors for real-time analysis and fast decision-making
- Enhancing orebody knowledge through advanced characterization techniques and incorporating advanced analytics and modelling
- Streamlining equipment maintenance and enhancing safety in operations by developing advanced asset monitoring sensors
- Increasing equipment durability to achieve more productive and efficient mining operations.
Collaborate with us
Collaborate with us on strategic research projects to help de-risk your innovative ideas, reduce your start-up costs and accelerate your commercial development timelines.
The NRC's High-efficiency Mining program establishes co-investment opportunities for stakeholders along Canada's mining value chain to develop and deploy new technology to increase productivity and sustainability. We take a systems engineering approach, aligning high level user requirements of mining companies with the innovation capacity of their supply chains and the R&D investment priorities of leading research organizations and government departments.
We are actively looking to engage mining equipment and technology suppliers, systems integrators and mine operators in targeted projects to:
- optimize mining processes: developing novel characterization techniques, monitoring and separation technologies that increase productivity and sustainability.
- improve equipment durability: developing better material wear and corrosion management technologies and integrated predictive maintenance approaches that combine modelling and advanced sensors to increase productivity.
Our collaborative model allows technology risks to be shared, driving innovation through the supply chain to strengthen the sustainability and competitiveness of Canada's mining sector. Multi partner R&D projects and consortia, such as the Mining Material Wear and Corrosion Consortium, and individual business arrangements are always negotiated to meet clearly defined client needs and market outcomes.
The NRC's competitive advantage lies in its multidisciplinary capabilities, drawing on decades of experience in adjacent aerospace, construction and defence markets to complement our expertise in energy and mining sectors. By leveraging technical competencies in emerging as well as applied sciences we are able to meet client needs as they advance along their technology roadmaps, from next generation solutions to market-ready deployment.
The NRC works with stakeholders to bring promising technologies to maturity to meet today's mining sector challenges. By helping establish long term relationships of trust between suppliers, systems integrators and end users (mining companies) in a coordinated mining technology innovation strategy, we help to:
- access innovative technologies
- leverage the high-efficiency mining facility and expertise to develop new applications
- accelerate the development time of application
- de-risk integration and optimize processes
- increase durability, productivity and energy efficiency
- increase the viability of low-grade ores and deeper deposits
Technical and advisory services
The NRC supports technology integration from prototyping to piloting to performance testing, integration and deployment in the field. Our High-efficiency Mining program draws on core capabilities in:
- system and process engineering
- material characterization and engineering, including separation technologies, wear and corrosion and tribology expertise
- advanced sensing and instrumentation
- multi‑scale modeling
Clients also gain access to specialized infrastructure and facilities including:
- powerful materials characterization and microscopy centres, including scanning electron microscope (SEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and X-ray diffraction (XRD)
- laser induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) and laser ultrasonic labs
- ultrasonic monitoring technology development lab
- wear, corrosion and environmental testers and simulators
- specialized modelling hardware and software
The NRC engages clients on an individual basis and through consortia and other multi partner collaboration models. Contact us to find out how we can work together to increase mining production efficiency at a lower cost.
Mining companies (hard rock and oil sands), technology and service suppliers (materials, chemicals, process technology, diagnostics, IT, sensors, analytical labs), original equipment manufacturers(OEMs), system integrators, consulting and engineering firms.