Dominion Astrophysical Observatory research facility

 
Dominion Astrophysical Observatory research facility - Transcript

[Note: the following text appears on screen over historical photographs of the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory and the people who built it and worked there; there is no narration.]

Plaskett telescope, Dominion Astrophysical Observatory, Victoria, B.C., (built by Warner and Swasey Co.) opened in 1918, was 1 of the largest telescopes in the world for 3 decades

John Stanley Plaskett had a vision to build a Canadian telescope that was second to none

Victoria was chosen for its temperate weather and its sharp view of the stars

Master optician John Brashear took 4 years to grind and polish the mirror (1914-1918)

Construction began with the telescope's 800-ton concrete pier, followed by a protective dome (1915-1916)

May 6, 1918, the telescope finally saw "first light"

The Observatory housed offices and an astronomical library

Still in use today, the telescope is now 10,000 times more sensitive

[On screen: image of the official signature of the National Research Council Canada / Conseil national de recherches Canada]

[On screen: image of the Government of Canada wordmark]

Video Gallery