Technical service highlights
Operating out of NRC's renowned Gas Turbine Laboratory, our mechanical components and tribology (MC/T) capabilities help clients and partners extend the life and optimize the performance of their mechanical equipment and rotating machinery – at higher operating speeds, under heavier loads, and in harsher operating environments.
What we offer
MC/T projects vary from targeted consultations to research and development projects spanning multiple years. NRC partners and clients include both manufacturers and end-users of rotating machines and machine components, such as bearings, gears and filters, as well as manufacturers and end-users of lubricants.
We carry out a variety of tribology activities, including:
- investigation of steady-state and dynamic performance of journal bearings using unique test facilities and state-of-the-art computer model for plain and tilting pad bearings
- performance evaluation of high-speed rolling-element bearings
- diagnostic, prognostic and health management (DPHM) for rolling-element bearings and gears
- experimental investigations of steady-state and dynamic performance of gas foil journal bearings
- evaluation of materials for honeycomb and abradable seals
- performance evaluation of oils as lubricants for bearings in high-speed rotating machinery
- evaluation of new load-bearing materials, bearing design, lubricants and filters
The expertise of our tribology staff has been proven in numerous projects for industrial partners, such as:
- evaluation of dynamic properties of tilting pad journal bearings
- performance of direct-lubricated tilting-pad bearings
- evaluation of composite materials for traction motor bearings
- comparative study of synthetic and mineral-based oils lubricating large journal bearings
- impact of contaminated lubricant on the performance of journal bearings
- comparative study of abradable seal materials for gas turbine engines
NRC Aerospace's Gas Turbine Laboratory offers full-scale instrumented test facilities with dedicated data acquisition systems, including:
- Up to 100 mm (∼4 in) Journal Bearing Dynamic Test Facility
Steady-state characteristics and dynamic coefficient measurements for speeds, static loads, dynamic loads, and oil flow up to 16,500 rpm, 31,000 N (∼7000 lb), 1300 N (∼300 lb) and 38 l/min (∼sim;10 gpm), respectively.
- Up to 90 mm (∼3.5 in) Oil-Free Foil Bearing Test Facility
Steady-state characteristics and dynamic coefficient measurements for speeds, static loads, dynamic loads up to 60,000 rpm, 3500 N (∼800 lb), and 450 N (∼100 lb), respectively.
- Up to 150 mm (∼6 in) Journal Bearing Static Test Facility
Steady-state characteristic measurements for speeds, loads, and oil flow up to 16,000 rpm, 24,500 N (∼5,500 lb), and 76 l/min (∼20 gpm), respectively.
- Up to 200 mm (∼8 in) Traction Motor Journal Bearing Test Facility
Steady-state characteristic measurements for speeds and loads up to 800 rpm and 187,000N (∼42,000 lb), respectively.
- High-Speed Roller Bearing Test Facility
Steady-state characteristic measurements for speeds, radial loads, axial loads, and oil flow up to 35,000 rpm, 4500 N (∼1000 lb), 11,250 N (∼2,500 lb), and 38 l/min (∼10 gpm), respectively.
- Abradable and Honeycomb Seal Test Facility
Blade/seal operational wear characteristic measurements with the capability of heated tests (seal only) at variable test conditions: seal incursion rate ranging from 2.5 μm/s (∼0.0001 in/s) to 760 μm/s (∼0.03 in/s) and a blade linear speed up to 425 m/s (∼1400 ft/s).
Standard tribological testers, such as Falex Block-on-Ring are also offered.
Why work with us
NRC's Aerospace Research Centre provides independent research, development and consultation services to clients and partners from both government and industry. In doing so, it aims to provide the best available services for tribological testing, and analysis and modeling of mechanical components. We offer practicable solutions to problems dealing with the lubrication, friction and wear (tribology) of mechanical equipment and rotating machinery.
We offer fee-for-service testing that includes the support of technical experts, research officers and engineers. Depending on the nature of a client's request, we also offer research and business opportunities that can translate into collaborative agreements or consortia work. Contact us to discuss your options and develop a customized plan to fit your technology needs.