Overview of the application
IBANA-Calc was developed to calculate the effect of sound insulation against aircraft noise and to provide the user with indoor noise levels for different outdoor aircraft noises and building constructions. The software was developed as part of the Insulation Buildings Against Noise from Aircraft (IBANA) project, with financial support from the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Transport Canada, the Department of National Defence, and the Vancouver International Airport Authority.
IBANA-Calc includes a large database of sound transmission loss data of building façade elements as well as a database of aircraft noise spectra, both collected as part of the project. The software can be used as a convenient tool to aid in the calculation of the effect of various sound insulation designs. The software is not an expert system and as such the user must have some expertise in the area of noise control engineering.
To use IBANA-Calc, the user first specifies the type of outdoor aircraft noise from the noise source database and then chooses constructions for each part of the building façade from the program's transmission loss database. The combined sound insulation of the selected components is calculated and used to determine the expected indoor sound levels from the aircraft noise. The program provides the user with both graphical and audible output of the indoor sound levels for combinations of noise sources and façade elements chosen by the user. The program includes extensive databases of aircraft noise source and sound transmission loss data but also provides the user with the option of adding new types of aircraft noise and/or new sound insulation data.
The user manual for IBANA-Calc is available from the NRC Publication Archive.
The following NRC research reports contain additional information on the science behind the calculations in IBANA-Calc:
- NEF Validation Study: Part 1, Issues Related to the Calculation of Airport Noise Contours, December 1996
- NEF Validation Study: Part 2, Review of Aircraft Noise and its Effects, December 1996
- NEF Validation Study: Part 3, Final report, December 1996
- Insulating Buildings Against Aircraft Noise: A Review – IR 760, March 1998
- Sound insulating homes against aircraft noise, August 1998
- Laboratory measurements of the sound insulation of building façade elements – IR-818, October 2000
- Measurements of the sound insulation of a wood frame house exposed to aircraft noise – IR-831, March 2002
- IBANA-Calc Validation Studies – RR-125, November 2002
The software is provided free of charge.
By installing the software, the user agrees to the full license agreement. The software is supplied "as is". The NRC is under no obligation to provide maintenance or support for the software. The NRC disclaims any warranties, expressed, implied, or statutory, of any kind or nature with respect to the software, including without limitation any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The NRC shall not be liable in any event for any damages, whether direct or indirect, special or general, consequential or incidental, arising from the use of the software. The NRC does:
- not assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of the software,
- not warrant that the software will function uninterrupted, that it is error-free or that any errors will be corrected.