Interferometric system for complex image extraction [Express]
This invention relates to optical interferometric systems and, in particular, to an interferometric system and method for simultaneously obtaining absorptive and refractive properties of a sample with a high signal-to-noise ratio.
This technology is available for licensing. There is an opportunity for this invention to be developed for particular applications and for demonstration of the final product through a collaborative research project. The business opportunity may be referred to by its NRC ID: 11832.
Applications for this technology are extensive, especially in the healthcare sector in:
- tissue diagnostics using refractive index measurements;
- body fluids diagnostics using refractive index and/or absorption index measurements;
- control of technological processes where refractive index and/or absorption index is used for monitoring/quality control.
How it works
The invention provides an interferometric system and method for quadrature detection of optical characteristics of a sample. The system includes a Mach-Zehnder interferometer providing a variable optical delay between light collected from the sample and reference light. A processor is provided for computing real and imaginary parts of a complex refractive index of the sample from the first and second electrical signals by using complex deconvolution.
- Non-invasive and/or non-destructive
- Remote measurements (even within toxic environment)
- Axial resolution is independent of the focusing conditions
NRC makes research & development licenses for this technology available under its Express Licensing program. To purchase such a license, please complete the Express Licensing order form.