To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
New: Now also available from eVantage in eBook format. To order, visit the eVantage on-line store.
The National Fire Code of Canada 2015 (NFC), published by NRC and developed by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes, sets out the technical provisions regulating activities related to the construction, use or demolition of buildings and facilities, the condition of specific elements of buildings and facilities, and the design or construction of specific elements of facilities related to certain hazards as well as the protection measures for the current or intended use of buildings.
There are 77 technical changes in the NFC. The most significant changes relate the construction of six-storey buildings using combustible construction. As a result, eight additional protection measures have been added to address fire hazards during construction when fire protection features are not yet in place.
Following mid-rise combustible construction, the second most significant change in the NFC 2015 is the introduction of the classification system used by Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) to define dangerous goods. These changes reflect harmonization of the dangerous goods classification system with the Globally Harmonized System (GHS) recently adopted in Canada.
The NFC 2015 has been re-organized to consolidate relevant information. Each Part now contains the Prescriptive Requirements, followed by the Attribution Table and related (appendix) Notes.
The NFC 2015 complements the National Building Code of Canada 2015. Both must be considered when constructing, renovating or maintaining buildings.
Table of contents
- Relationship of the NFC to Standards Development and Conformity Assessment
- Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes and Standing Committees
- Division A: Compliance, Objectives and Functional Statements
- Part 1: Compliance
- Part 2: Objectives
- Part 3: Functional Statements
- Division B: Acceptable Solutions
- Part 1: General
- Part 2: Building and Occupant Fire Safety
- Part 3: Indoor and Outdoor Storage
- Part 4: Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Part 5: Hazardous Processes and Operations
- Part 6: Fire Protection Equipment
- Part 7: Fire Emergency Systems in High Buildings
- Division C: Administrative Provisions
- Part 1: General
- Part 2: Administrative Provisions
- Binder $65.00 CAD
- SoftCover $60.00 CAD
- Free downloadable, offline access PDF file. This file is locked to an individual computer and cannot be transferred. It cannot be installed on a network drive.
- Free single user, online access subscription allows users to view the publications online from any computer connected to the Internet.
Place an order
Code publications produced by Codes Canada are available free in electronic format and for purchase in printed format. User's Guides now have a reduced rate for both formats.
To access both the free products and those available for purchase, place your order on-line by selecting your products through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, you can send a completed order form (PDF, 500 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, e-mail or regular mail.
Please note: Do not submit your order more than once. If you are unsure of your order's status, please call Codes Canada Publication Sales to confirm it. Please submit your order only once either by fax, by mail, by e-mail or through the Virtual Store.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm eastern time, Monday to Friday.