Eurostars call for proposals
From: National Research Council Canada
Given the ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic, NRC IRAP International will continue coordinating with its national and international partners, and other government departments, and reserves the right to modify, postpone, or cancel planned or anticipated international activities where required.
We appreciate your flexibility and understanding as we all do our best to navigate these unprecedented challenges together.
Please direct any questions and concerns to IRAP.International.PARI@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca.
Should you be interested in learning more about how the NRC is helping to find solutions to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit our webpage on the NRC COVID-19 response.
Eurostars is the largest international funding program for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) seeking to collaborate on research and development (R&D) projects that create innovative products, processes or services for commercialization. Eurostars is co-funded from the national budgets of over 35 countries and by the European Union. Individual countries provide funding to participants based on their national funding rules and procedures.
Canadian SME participants in Eurostars projects receive advisory services and funding support through the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP).
2. Application deadlines
NRC IRAP registration deadline
November 4, 2021
Eurostars application deadline
November 4, 2021 at 8:00 am (EST)
NRC IRAP funding proposal deadline
November 18, 2021
3. Sectors of focus
This call for proposals is open to projects in all sectors that are civilian in nature.
4. Eligibility requirements
For a Canadian SME’s participation in a Eurostars project to be eligible for NRC IRAP funding, it must:
- meet the Eurostars rules and call criteria
- be an incorporated, profit-oriented small or medium-sized business in Canada
- have 500 or fewer full-time equivalent employees
- have been in operation for a minimum of 12 months prior to the Eurostars call application deadline
- pursue growth and profit by developing and commercializing innovative, technology-driven new or improved products, services or processes in Canada
- have a differentiated and protectable technology
- have sufficient working capital and resources to undertake a multi-year R&D collaboration and commercialize the results
- register with NRC IRAP (see Registration section below to register)
- be eligible for funding as NRC IRAP clients
- Canadian SMEs who are not yet NRC IRAP clients (i.e. have not received NRC IRAP funding in the past), must register at least 4 weeks before the Eurostars application deadline in order to review their eligibility for NRC IRAP funding with an NRC IRAP representative(see Registration section below to register).
Participating Canadian SMEs are not eligible to receive NRC IRAP funding if they:
- have previously received funding from NRC IRAP but did not make a substantial effort to leverage their R&D results, and/or
- are currently receiving funding from NRC IRAP and have not yet exploited their R&D results.
NRC IRAP funding for an international project is typically restricted to Canadian SMEs that have at least 15 full-time equivalent employees and at least $500,000 CAD in annual revenue.
Financial support for project partners varies according to funding eligibility in their respective countries. In Canada, the maximum funding possible is $500,000 CAD per eligible Canadian SME participant per project.
NRC IRAP funding is only available for eligible Canadian SMEs. All other organizations need to secure alternative funding.
6. Application process
6.1 Registration with NRC IRAP:
- To apply for NRC IRAP funding through Eurostars, Canadian SME applicants must register with NRC IRAP using the registration button below before the registration deadline.
6.2 Eurostars application:
- Applications are to be completed jointly by the project partners before the Eurostars deadline indicated above.
- The application form and any associated annexes must be submitted online using the Eureka Project Management Platform (E!PMP).
- Please refer to the Eurostars webpage for full details.
6.3 NRC IRAP project proposal:
- Project proposals to be completed by each individual Canadian SME seeking NRC IRAP funding and must be submitted by the NRC IRAP funding proposal submission deadline indicated above.
- To be submitted through the NRC IRAP Innovation Portal; NRC IRAP will only provide registered eligible Canadian SMEs with instructions and access to the portal.
- Applicants must provide their most recent annual and interim financial statements, as well as a cash-flow projection covering at least the expected duration of their participation in the project as attachments to their NRC IRAP proposal.
For more information, please refer to the Eurostars call for projects webpage or contact Canada’s Eurostars National Project Coordinator (NPC) Eric Holdrinet.