The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) carries out audits of its research centres, branches, programs and initiatives, led by a team of highly qualified audit professionals.
In accordance with the Treasury Board Policy on Internal Audit, the mission of Internal Audit at NRC is to provide assessments, independent from line management, on the effectiveness of NRC's risk management, control and governance process and to report on results.
The most recent Risk-Based Internal Audit Plan and recent audit reports are listed below. Complete copies of audit reports listed as summaries can be obtained by contacting NRC Internal Audit Reports.
Audit performance results
Key compliance attributes are published as required under the Directive on Internal Audit
- Departments must meet public reporting requirements as prescribed by the Comptroller General of Canada and using Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat prescribed platforms, including:
- Performance results for the internal audit function.
These results, or key attributes demonstrate that the main fundamental elements necessary for oversight are in place, are performing as required under the Policy on Internal Audit and the Directive on Internal Audit and are achieving results. Why publish key compliance attributes of internal audit?
Key compliance attributes
|Performance indicators||Key compliance attributes||2017-18||Definitions|
|Do internal auditors in departments have the training required to do the job effectively? Are multidisciplinary teams in place to address diverse risks?||Number of IA employees
|11||The number of current full-time equivalent positions|
|% of staff with an internal audit or accounting designation (Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA))||73%|
|% of staff with an internal audit or accounting designation (Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA))||9%||In progress: The staff member (an indeterminate employee) has formally registered with and has been accepted by the certifying body to complete the requirements of the professional designation in a prescribed time frame and has registered for at least one component of the certification process.|
|% of staff holding other designations (CGAP, CISA, etc.)||18%|
|Is internal audit work performed in conformance with the international standards for the profession of internal audit as required by Treasury Board policy?||Date of last comprehensive briefing to the Departmental Audit Committee on the internal processes, tools, and information considered necessary to evaluate conformance with the IIA Code of Ethics and the Standards and the results of the quality assurance and improvement program (QAIP)||June 2018||Last comprehensive briefing: A comprehensive briefing includes updates on all pertinent elements of the QAIP. In accordance with IIA Standard 1320, this comprehensive briefing would include:
|Date of last external assessment||March 2018|
|Is internal audit credible and adding value in support of the mandate and strategic objectives of the organization?||Average overall usefulness rating from senior management (ADM-level or equivalent) of areas audited.||100 % of respondents agreed or strongly agreed with the overall usefulness of the audit||Average "overall usefulness" rating: Post-audit surveys to senior management of the area audited should include a question on the overall usefulness of the audit.|
Internal audit status for fiscal year 2018-19
|Internal audit title||Audit status||Report approved
|Original planned MAP completion date||Implementation status (%)|
|Audit of Emergency Planning and Preparedness||Postponed|
|Audit of Research Agreement Management||In Progress|
|Audit of Intellectual Property, Royalties and Awards||In Progress|
|Audit of Acquisition Card Management||Approved||2019/01/21||April 2019||2019/06/30||0 %|
|Audit of Procurement and Contracting||In Progress|
|Audit of Conflict of Interests Management||In Progress|
- Audit of Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP) - SONAR
- Audit of Talent Management – Workforce Planning and Succession Management
- Audit of Occupational Safety and Health
- Audit of NRC Operational Security: Controlled Goods and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Audit of Revenue Management - February 2016
- Audit of Acquisition Cards in the Interim Operating Environment - June 2015
- Audit of Expenditure Management in the Interim Operating Environment - June 2015
- Audit of the Industrial Research Assistance Program in the Interim Operating Environment - June 2015
- Audit of Procurement and Contracting in the Interim Operating Environment - June 2015
- ARCHIVED - Continuous Audit of the Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP) – FY 2012-13
- ARCHIVED - 2012-13 Continuous Audit of Expenditure Management
- ARCHIVED - Audit of Investment Planning
- ARCHIVED - 2012-13 Continuous Audit of Procurement and Contracting
For prior audits and evaluation reports, please consult the Treasury Board Secretariat Reviews, Audits and Evaluation Database.