The NRC is an agency of the Government of Canada, reporting to Parliament through the Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry. It is governed by a council of appointees drawn from its client community.
On this page
Meet the people who lead the National Research Council.
DG, Audit and Evaluation
Senior leadership on special assignments and projects
VP, Special Projects and,
Biologics Manufacturing Centre Project
VP Aubrey is on assignment for 18 months to lead the project to certify and enhance our Human Health Therapeutics facility in Montreal for Good Manufacturing Practice production of vaccines and therapies. The facility will be used to develop and scale up processes to produce biological medicines.
Pandemic Response Challenge Program
Jean-François Houle has been assigned to leading the Pandemic Response Challenge Program. The program brings together the best Canadian and international researchers to fast track research and development (R&D) aimed at specific COVID-19 gaps and challenges identified by Canada's health experts.
Secretary, COVID-19 Vaccine Task Force and Special Advisor to the President of the Public Health Agency of Canada
President's Science Advisor and Secretary to the President's Research Excellence Advisory Committee
Special Advisor to the President, Vaccine Access
VP Szumski is on a 12-month assignment with the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) to lead their efforts related to vaccine acquisition.
Discover the teams behind the NRC's various divisions.
- Joel Martin, Director General (acting)
- Advanced Electronics and Photonics
- Julie Lefebvre, Director General (acting)
- Herzberg Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Luc Simard, Director General
- Ralph Paroli, Director General (acting)
- Guillermo Ordorica-Garcia, Director General
- Security and Disruptive Technologies
- Julie Lefebvre, Director General
Transportation and Manufacturing
Industrial Research Assistance Program
- Pacific Region
- Christopher Ryan, Director General
- Prairie Region
- Robert Faulder, Director General (acting)
- Ontario Region
- Michael Curry, Director General
- Quebec Region
- Llynne Plante, Director General
- Atlantic and Nunavut Region
- Grant Sullivan, Director General
- Division Services
- Bradley C. Goodyear, Director General
- Special Projects
- Laural Porth-Jones, Director General
- Policy, Strategy and Performance
- Stephen Scott, Director General
- International Innovation Office
- Melanie Cullins, Director General (acting)
- Corporate Secretariat and Senior Ethics Officer
- Erin Skrapek, Director
Business and Professional Services
- Design and Fabrication Services
- Pierre Mayette, Director General
- Knowledge Information and Technology
- Dave Adamson, Chief Information Officer and Director general (acting)
- National Programs and Business Services
- Morag Cowell, Director General (acting)
Corporate Services and Finance
- Real Property Planning and Management
- Frank Jefferies, Director General
- Finance and Procurement Services
- Johanne Diotte, Director General
- Christine Aquino, Director General
- Tim Grubb, Executive Director
- Health, Safety and Environment
- Ronalda Rino, Executive Director
- Client Service Centre
- André Boileau, Director
Biologics Manufacturing Centre (BMC) Project
- Christine Jodoin, Director General, BMC Project
- Liane Smith, Director General, BMC Operations
The NRC Council reviews the strategic directions, oversees the performance of the organization and provides a challenge function with respect to the work of the President and senior management. Members bring an independent perspective based upon knowledge and expertise in fields of importance to the NRC's mandate.
The President is the chief executive officer of the National Research Council (the body corporate) while the Chair is responsible for providing effective leadership to the NRC Council and for all matters pertaining to organization and functioning of the NRC Council meetings.
The President is appointed for a term of up to five years, while all other members are appointed for terms of up to three years.