The NRC is an agency of the Government of Canada, reporting to Parliament through the Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry. It is governed by a council of appointees drawn from its client community.
On this page
Meet the people who lead the National Research Council.
DG, Audit and Evaluation
Senior leadership on special assignments and projects
Vice-President, Strategic Initiatives
As Vice President, Strategic Initiatives, Maria Aubrey is the executive lead responsible for the design, build and operationalization of the Biologics Manufacturing Centre. In this role, she is also leading the design and build of the new clinical trial material facility.
Vice-President, Pandemic Response Challenge Program
Jean-François Houle has been assigned to leading the Pandemic Response Challenge Program. The program brings together the best Canadian and international researchers to fast track research and development (R&D) aimed at specific COVID-19 gaps and challenges identified by Canada's health experts.
Discover the teams behind the NRC's various divisions.
- Advanced Electronics and Photonics
- Velko Tzolov, Director General
- Herzberg Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Luc Simard, Director General
- Georgette Macdonald, Director General
- Andrew Myles, Acting Director General
- Security and Disruptive Technologies
- Julie Lefebvre, Director General
Transportation and Manufacturing
Industrial Research Assistance Program
- Pacific Region
- Christopher Ryan, Director General
- Prairie Region
- Robert Faulder, Director General
- Ontario Region
- Michael Curry, Director General
- Quebec Region
- André Mouton, Director General (acting)
- Atlantic and Nunavut Region
- Grant Sullivan, Director General
- Division Services
- Laural Porth-Jones, Director General (acting)
- Client Enablement
- Laural Porth-Jones, Director General
- Policy, Strategy and Performance
- Stephen Scott, Director General
- Christine Aquino, Director General
- Corporate Secretariat and Senior Ethics Officer
- Erin Skrapek, Executive Director
Business and Professional Services
Corporate Services and Finance
Biologics Manufacturing Centre (BMC) Project
- Christine Jodoin, Director General, BMC Project
- Liane Smith, Director General, BMC Operations
The NRC Council reviews the strategic directions, oversees the performance of the organization and provides a challenge function with respect to the work of the President and senior management. Members bring an independent perspective based upon knowledge and expertise in fields of importance to the NRC's mandate.
The President is the chief executive officer of the National Research Council (the body corporate) while the Chair is responsible for providing effective leadership to the NRC Council and for all matters pertaining to organization and functioning of the NRC Council meetings.
The President is appointed for a term of up to five years, while all other members are appointed for terms of up to three years.