Roles and responsibilities
I am a senior data scientist and head of NRC’s Artificial Intelligence Accelerator. As part of NRC Digital Technologies and the NRC Data Analytics Centre, the AI Accelerator delivers impactful, innovative, and responsible AI solutions to other departments and agencies of the Government of Canada and contributes to their digital transformation.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Physics, Université de Sherbrooke, 1997
- Master of Science (M.Sc.), Physics, Carleton University, 2000
- Diploma for Graduates (Dip. Grad.), Management, London School of Economics, 2008
- Graduate Certificate, Data Science, Harvard, 2017
- Executive Certificate, Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School, 2021
Selected recent publications
- Pall, R., Gauthier, Y., Auer, S., and Mowaswes, W. (2023). Predicting drug shortages using pharmacy data and machine learning, Health Care Management Science
- Ebadi, A., Auger, A. and Gauthier, Y. (2022). Detecting emerging technologies and their evolution using deep learning and weak signal analysis, Journal of Informetrics, 16(4)
- Ebadi, A., Gauthier, Y., Tremblay, S. and Paul, P. (2019). How can automated machine learning help business data science teams?, In Proceedings of the 18th IEEE International Conference On Machine Learning And Applications (ICMLA), pages 1186– 1191
- Gauthier, Y. and Kaluzny, B. (2018). Data analytics: the same old next big thing for military OR?, In Proceedings of the 35th International Symposium on Military Operational Research
- Dooley, P. and Gauthier, Y. (2018). Vignette, task requirement, and option (VITRO) analyses approach: Application to concept development for domestic chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) event reponse. Journal of Applied Operational Research, 10(1):25–42
See Google Scholar for some of my other external publications.
Recent invited presentations and panel participations
- Gauthier, Y. (2023). Innovation in AI panel. Innovation 2023, Global Government Forum.
- Gauthier, Y. (2022). Deploying AI in Government panel. AccelerateGOV & Digital Summit 2022
- Gauthier, Y. (2022). Accelerating the Adoption of AI in the Government of Canada: Challenges and Opportunities. Digital Transformation in Government Conference
- Gauthier, Y. (2022). How data analytics and AI are multiplying the impact of IoT. Roundtable on National AIoT Strategy
- Gauthier, Y. (2021). Advanced analytics and AI in the government. Infonex Conference on Artificial Intelligence for the Public Sector
- Gauthier, Y. (2021). Using R for Advanced Analytics in the Department of National Defence. R Conference for the Government and Public Sector
- Gauthier, Y. (2021). Accelerating the adoption of analytics and AI in the Government of Canada: challenges and opportunities. Data and Analytics for the Public Sector Summit
- Gauthier, Y. (2020). Accelerating data science in the Department of National Defence: Lessons from the trenches. Government of Canada Data Conference 2020
Previous work experience
I worked for 20 years with the Department of National Defence (DND), where I became the first-ever Director of Data Science and established a data science team supporting the Chief Data Officer and the Assistant Deputy Minister (Data, Innovation, Analytics). I also led various operational research projects and teams of scientists while being embedded with different parts of the Canadian Armed Forces, including the Strategic Joint Staff, the Canadian Joint Operations Command, the Royal Canadian Navy, and the Royal Canadian Air Force. See my LinkedIn profile for a detailed list of positions.
International experience and/or work
I worked in the UK for two years as an exchange scientist with Dstl. I recently chaired a NATO Specialist Team on Advanced Analytics and AI for enterprise resource management. Before, I contributed to several international defence science activities conducted under the auspices of the Technical Cooperation Program (five eyes), the NATO Science & Technology Organization, and the US Military Operational Research Society.