Roles and responsibilities
Senior Research Officer & Team Leader for Nanoscale Measurements
Current research and/or projects
Focus on the development of nanoscale standards and measurement methods that underpin applications of nanoscience; contribute to greater understanding of the effects of nanomaterials in the environment and living systems, and promote safe and responsible utilization of nanotechnology tools and nanomaterials.
Research and/or project statements
See the Nanometrology page on teh NRC website at https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/rd/mss/expertise/nanometrology.html
- nanomaterial toxicity assessment
- nanomechanical detection of cancer cell responses to drug treatments
- method development and characterization of nanoparticles and nanotubes
- development and characterization of nanoscale reference materials
- nanocarbon metrology
Also see my personal webpage: http://shan-nrc.weebly.com/
ResearchGate lab at https://www.researchgate.net/lab/Shan-Zou-Lab
Ph.D. Supramolecular Chemistry and Physics, University of Twente, 2005
M.Sc. Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Jilin University, 2001
B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, Jilin University, 1998
Research interests include development of integrated multimodal techniques for characterization of nanomaterials and quantitative detection of cancer cells and cellular mechanical responses to drug treatments. Recently, she is working on the reference material development of boron nitride nanotubes and cytotoxicity of nanomaterials. Expertise in Nanomechanical characterization; Cytotoxicity measurements of nanomaterial; Material and surface characterization;
Adjunct Professor in the Department of Chemistry, Carleton University;
Secretary of ASTM E56 Nanotechnology Committee
Secretary of Canadian National Committee for IUPAC
Member of Consultative Committee for Amount of Substance: Metrology in Chemistry and Biology (BIPM-CCQM) Cell Analysis Working Group (CAWG)
Member of Canadian Society for Chemistry; Canadian Biophysical Society; BIPM-CCQM Cell Analysis Working Group
Inventions and patents
CNT thinfilm transistor with high K polymeric dielectric
Du, N.; Malenfant, P.; Zhao, Li; Lefebvre, J.; Dubey, G.; Lopinski, L.; Zou, S.
- US 9620728 B2;
- EP2903046 A1.
- Evaluation of drug-mediated changes in cardiomyocytes
Augustine, J.; Cheung, T.; Gies, V.; Boughton, J.; Chen, M.; Jakubek, Z. J.; Walker, S.; Martinez-Rubi, Y.; Simard, B.; Zou, S.* Assessing size-dependent cytotoxicity of boron nitride nanotubes using a novel cardiomyocyte AFM assay
Nanoscale Adv. 2019, 1, 1914-1923. DOI: 10.1039/C9NA00104B.
Chen, A. T.; Zou, S.* Evaluation of drug-mediated arrhythmic changes in spontaneous beating cardiomyocytes by AFM
Analyst 2016, 141, 6303-6313; DOI: 10.1039/C6AN01577H.
- AFM force indentation analysis on leukemia cells
Fortier, H.; Variola, F.; Wang, C.; Zou, S.* AFM force indentation analysis on leukemia cells
Anal. Methods 2016, 8, 4421-4431; DOI: 10.1039/C6AY00131A.
- Manipulation and quantification of graphene oxide flake size: photoluminescence and cytotoxicity
Gies, V.; Lopinski, G.; Augustine, J.; Cheung, T.; Kodra, O.; Zou, S.* The impact of processing on the cytotoxicity of graphene oxide
Nanoscale Adv. 2019, 1, 817-826. DOI: 10.1039/C8NA00178B.
Gies, V.; Zou, S.* Systematic toxicity investigation of graphene oxide: evaluation of assay selection, cell type, exposure period and flake size
Toxicol. Res. 2018,7, 93-101. DOI: 10.1039/C7TX00278E.
Coleman, B.; Knight, T.; Gies, V.; Jakubek, Z.; Zou, S.* Manipulation and quantification of graphene oxide flake size: photoluminescence and cytotoxicity
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9, 28911-28921. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.7b08585.
- Temperature-induced lipid membrane restructuring and changes in nanomechanics
Temperature induced lipid membrane restructuring and changes in nanomechanics
Bhojoo, U.; Chen, M.; Zou, S.*
Biochim. Biophys. Acta Biomem. 2018,1860, 700-709. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbamem.2017.12.008.
For full publications list: http://shan-nrc.weebly.com/publication.html
International experience and/or work
- Member of Consultative Committee for Amount of Substance: Metrology in Chemistry and Biology (BIPM-CCQM) Cell Analysis Working Group (CAWG)
- Secretary/Executive Committee Member of E56 Nanotechnology committee, ASTM International (2016-2018 Member-at-Large for the same committee)
- International Advisory Committee member, International Scanning Probe Microscopy Conferences
- Chair, International Conference of Scanning Probe Microscopy on soft and polymeric material 2014