Roles and responsibilities
Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) researcher.
Current research and/or projects
Practical application of HCI to a variety of areas: AI, epidemiology, e-learning, software engineering, ethics and privacy, and conducting HCI research in AR and VR.
Research and/or project statements
- Project lead for the development of several e-learning proofs of concepts and demos based on NRC technology (2017-2018)
- Application of user centered design to syndromic surveillance, including the development of two deployed syndromic surveillance systems (2007-2012)
- Research Ethics in empirical software engineering research (1999-2008)
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology 1995
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, M.A. in Psychology 1989
- McGill University, Montreal, B.Sc. Honours in Psychology 1987
- OCRI (Ottawa Centre for Research and Innovation) Health Innovation Award in 2011 for ILI Watch multi-centre project.
- CASCON First Decade High Impact Paper Award, 2010 (for An Examination of Software Engineering Work Practices)
- Singer, J., Lethbridge, T., Vinson, N., & Anquetil, N. (2010). An examination of software engineering work practices. In CASCON First Decade High Impact Papers - CASCON ’10 (pp. 174–188). Toronto, Canada: ACM Press. http://doi.org/10.1145/1925805.1925815. Reprint of Singer, J., Lethbridge, T., Vinson, N., Anquetil, N. (1997). An examination of software engineering work practices. In Proceedings of CASCON ’97, pp. 209-223, November 10-13, 1997, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Singer, J., & Vinson, N. G. (2002). Ethical issues in empirical studies of software engineering. IEEE Transactions on Software, 28(12), 1171–1180. http://doi.org/10.1109/TSE.2002.1158289
- Vinson, N. G. (1999). Design Guidelines for Landmarks to Support Navigation in Virtual Environments. In CHI ’99 Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 278–285). http://doi.org/10.1145/302979.303062
Previous work experience
Human-Computer Interaction Team
UI designer and Software Development Project Manager
Director of Science and Technology
Interaction with Modelled Environments and Interactive Information Teams