Roles and responsibilities
Research Associate in the Integrated Building Performance Group focusing on Arctic systems development and radon mitigation systems testing.
Current research and/or projects
- Arctic Building Energy Systems project
- ventilation system development - design, testing, performance analysis, and publication and report development
- Radon Mitigation in Canadian Homes project
- system performance analysis and publication develpment
- Passive Radon Stack Field Studies for Codes project
- publication develpment
- Airtightness of Commercial Buildings project
- experimentation lead - testing, results analysis, and publication and report development.
- IPEX Technologies project
- leading project meetings, experiment coordination, and report development.
- Facilitating experiments for:
- Optimizing Energy & Load Management in Commercial Buildings project
- Printable Sensors for Advanced Building Performance project
- Smart Residential Ventilation to Improve IAQ project
Master of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering, Carleton University, 2017
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Queens University, 2014
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
Top student paper award, ASHRAE Annual Conference, 2018
Professional Engineering License, 2019
Berquist, J., Ouf, M., & O’Brien, W. (2019). A method to conduct longitudinal studies on indoor environmental quality and perceived occupant comfort. Building and Environment, 150.
Berquist, J., & O’Brien, W. (2018). A quantitative model-based fault detection and diagnostics (FDD) system for zone-level inefficiencies. In ASHRAE Transactions (Vol. 124).
Berquist, J., Tessier, A., O’Brien, W., Attar, R., & Khan, A. (2017). An Investigation of Generative Design for Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC). Simulation for Architectural and Urban Design (SimAUD).
Previous work experience
Technical Officer, National Research Council Canada, October 2017 – June 2018
Research Assistant, Carleton University, August 2017 – March 2018
Summer Intern, Autodesk Canada, May 2016 - August 2016
Mechanical Designer, Goodkey, Weedmark & Associates Ltd, July 2014- August 2015
Summer Intern, Optimum Mechanical Solutions, Summer of 2013, 2012 & 2011