Roles and responsibilities
As a research officer part of the “Thermal Spray” team, develop and lead various internal and collaborative scientific projects related to the engineering of coatings.
Current research and/or projects
- Development of metallic powders for cold spray additive manufacturing.
- Development and industrialisation of cold spray technology for the corrosion protection of the canadian nuclear used fuel containers.
- Optimization of spraying conditions and feedstock materials for specific applications such as vehicle lightweighting or wear protection of ball valves.
- Caracterisation of the microstructures and properties of thermal spray coatings in wear, corrosion and under thermal cycling for performance optimisation.
PhD in Materials Eng., McGill University, 2009
B. Eng. in Metallurgical Eng., McGill University, 2004
2017 Organizational Excellence award from NRC for the Open House event at NRC-Boucherville.
2015 Public Service Award “Employee Innovation” for the development of cold spray technology for the repair of aerospace parts
2014 NRC Technology to Market award for the development of cold spray technology for the repair of aerospace parts
2008 iTrans scholarship, from Transportation Association of Canada
2006-2009 PGS D, from NSERC, providing financial support to high calibre scholars
2006 Bourse d’études supérieures from Alcan
2004-2006 CGS M from NSERC, providing financial support to high calibre scholars
Inventions and patents
- Poirier D., Irissou, E., Legoux, J.G., Gallant, D., Bi-layer iron coating of lightweight metallic substrate WO2015186095A1
- Vernhes L., Lourdel, N., Lima R.S., Poirier D., Mechanical part with a nanostructured TIO2-CR2O3 ceramic coating and method for depositing a nanostructured TIO2-CR2O3 ceramic coating on a substrate, US20150321963A1
D. Poirier, J.G. Legoux, P. Vo, B.Blais, J.D. Giallonardo, P.G. Keech, Powder Development and Qualification for High Performance Cold Spray Copper Coatings on Steel Substrates, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, DOI 10.1007/s11666-019-00833-9.
D. Poirier, J.G. Legoux, E. Irissou, D.Gallant, J. Jiang, T. Potter, J.Boileau, Performance Assessment of Protective Thermal Spray Coatings for Lightweight Al Brake Rotor Disks, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, vol. 28 (1), 2019, 291-304.
L. Vernhes, D. A. Lee, D. Poirier, D. Li, J.E. Klemberg-Sapieha, HVOF Coating Case Study for Power Plant Process Control Ball Valve Application, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, vol. 22 (7), 2013, 1184-1191.
D. Poirier, J.G. Legoux, R.S. Lima, Engineering HVOF-Sprayed Cr3C2-NiCr Coatings: The Effect of Particle Morphology and Spraying Parameters on the Microstructure, Properties and High Temperature Wear Performance, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, vol. 22(2-3), 2013, 280-289.