Roles and responsibilities
Principal Research Officer, Group Leader, Thrust Leader SMT program
Current research and/or projects
Thrust leader in the Security Materials Technologies Program
Research and/or project statements
Fabrication of nanotube-based materials such as neat or hybrid fibers, ink formulations, neat or hybrid non-woven sheets, thermoset, thermoplastic, ceramic, metal and glass composites for homeland security, energy, flexible electronics, and transportation applications.
B.Sc. Chemistry, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi, 1980; M. Sc., Chemistry, Laval University, 1982; Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Saskatchewan 1986.
- Member of the International Scientific Committee for NASA - Rice University Workshop on Nucleation and Growth Mechanisms of Single Wall Carbon Nanotubes, Canyon of the Eagle, Texas, 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2013, 2015, 2017.
- Member of the FQRNT “Regroupement” Grant Committee, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015
- Member of NSERC Scholarship Committee, Analytical and Physical Chemistry, 2013-2015
- Member of the FQRNT-PRIMA Quebec review committee, 2017
Fellow of the Chemical Institute of Canada; Member of the American Chemical Society
- Recipient of the 2015 Public Service Excellence Awards for Scientific Contribution for the development of a manufacturing process for boron nitride nanotubes.
- 2012-Queen Elizabeth II diamond Jubilee Medal for contributions to Canada.
- Recipient of the 1997 Barringer Research Award given by the Spectroscopy Society of Canada in recognition for significant contributions to the application of spectroscopy to analytical chemistry.
Inventions and patents
- "Method and apparatus for the continuous production and functionalization of single-walled carbon nanotubes using a high frequency induction plasma torch” B. Simard, C. Kingston, S. Denommee, G. Soucy and G. Cota Sanchez, US patent 8,834,827 (2015).
- "Nucleophilic Substitution of Carbon Nanotube”. US patent 9,643,944 B2, (2017), Canadian patent 2,679,280 (2018).
- "Modified Carbon Nanotubes and their Compatibility”, J. Guan, R. Anderson and B. Simard, US patent 9,284,398; Canadian patent 2,801,617 (2018).
- "Continuous synthesis of few-walled boron nitride nanotubes (sub. 10 nm) by an induction thermal plasma” K. S. Kim, C. T. Kingston, and B. Simard, Canadian patent: 2,877,060 (2015); US patent 9,862,604 (2018).
- M. Rahmat, B. Ashrafi, A. Naftel, D. Djokic, Y. Martinez-Rubi, M. B. Jakubinek and B. Simard, Enhanced shear performance of hybrid glass fiber-epoxy laminates modified with boron nitrides nanotubes, ACS Appl. Nano Mater., 1, 2709-2717 (2018).
- M. J. Jakubinek, B. Ashrafi, Y. Martnez-Rubi, M. Rahmat, M. Yourdkhani, K. S. Kim, K. Laqua, A. Yousefpour and B. Simard, Nanoreinforced epoxy and adhesive joints incorporating boron nitride nanotubes, Intern. J. Adhesion and Adhesives, 84, 194-201 (2018).
- K. S. Kim, M. Couillard, H. Shin, M. Plunkett, D. Ruth, C. T. Kingston and B. Simard, Role of hydrogen in the high-yield growth of boron nitride nanotubes at atmospheric pressure by induction thermal plasma, ACS Nano,12, 884-893 (2018).
- B. Ashrafi, M. B. Jakubinek, Y. Martinez-Rubi, M. Rahmat, D. Djokic, K. Laqua, D. Park, K.-S. Kim, B. Simard, and A. Yousefpour, Multifunctional Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites Using Carbon and Boron Nitride Nanotubes, Acta Astronautica, 141, 57 (2017).
- Y. Martinez-Rubi, B. Ashrafi, M. B. Jakubinek, S. Zou, K. Laqua, M. Barnes, and B. Simard. Fabrication of High Content Carbon Nanotube−Polyurethane Sheets with Tailorable Properties, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 9, 30840-30849 (2017).
- H. Shin, K. S. Kim, B. Simard, and D. D. Klug, Interlayer locking and atomic-scale friction in commensurate small-diameter boron nitride nanotubes, Phys. Rev. B., 95, 085406 (2017).
- K. S. Kim, M. J. Kim, C. Park, C. C. Fay, S-H. Chu, C. T. Kingston and B. Simard, Scalable Manufacturing of boron nitride nanotubes and their assemblies: a review, Semicond. Sci. Technol., 32, 013003 (2017).
International experience and/or work
- Co-Organizer of the “International Conference on the Science and Application of Nanotubes”, 2010
- Co-Organizer of the “4th Tri-National Workshop on Standards for Nanotechnology; Measurement and Characterization in Support of Toxicology R&D, 2010
- Chair of the Program Committee for the Physical and Theoretical division for IUPAC 2003.
- Member of the International Advisory and Executive Committee of the Ohio State University International Symposium on Molecular Spectroscopy 1994-1997.
- Co-Organizer of the International Symposium in Memory of Gerhard Herzberz, “Inspired by Herzberg – Spectroscopy for the Year 2000”, 1999.