Assessing strengths and weaknesses and engaging in ongoing self-development and improvement; maintaining effectiveness in the face of change or ambiguity.
Self-assesses and monitors oneself to maintain personal effectiveness
- Knows personal strengths and limitations.
- Sets priorities and balances multiple tasks to meet commitments.
- Recognizes and seeks to close gaps in knowledge and skills through self-learning, and / or seeking assistance, advice or coaching.
- Takes advantage of learning opportunities.
- Continually applies new knowledge and learning to improve job performance.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the face of change.
- Seeks to balance work responsibilities and personal life commitments.
- Maintains positive and constructive attitude in the face of frustrations and setbacks - avoids cynicism.
Seeks to improve and maintain personal effectiveness in high demand situations
- Recognizes personal work capacity and limitations, and modifies work accordingly (e.g. delegate, modify priorities).
- Strives to meet commitments in high demand or high stress circumstances.
- Effectively manages time and priorities to meet commitments of self and the team.
- Maintains effectiveness, self-control and a professional attitude when challenged or in situations that are high demand, ambiguous or beyond one's control.
- Sets challenging goals and standards of excellence for self.
- Designs personal learning objectives based on anticipated future needs of the work unit, research centre and NRC.
- Uses change as an opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge.
Impacts on effectiveness of others
- Maintains effective judgments, decision-making and responds constructively towards others in high demand, difficult or stressful periods or situations.
- Positively influences others by remaining energized, enthusiastic and confident in the face of difficult and prolonged work demands.