The competencies below have been identified as key behavioural competencies contributing to excellence in Research Technician/Technologist roles at NRC. They are not intended to represent all of the competencies necessary for success in a specific position. In addition to these competencies, specific technical expertise will be required.
- Creative thinking
- Responding to challenges with innovative solutions, products or services by questioning conventional means, using intuition, experimentation and fresh perspectives.
- Results orientation
- Focusing efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the NRC vision.
- Demonstrating effective interpersonal skills and working cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals.
- Client focus
- Bringing excellence to internal or external clients by focusing efforts on discovering and meeting their needs.
- Openly communicating in a compelling, honest, persuasive and articulate manner, ensuring the message is clear, understood and consistent with NRC objectives.
- Anticipating and dealing with problems and issues in a persistent manner, seizing opportunities that arise and going beyond what is expected.
- Self-knowing and self-development
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses and engaging in ongoing self-development and improvement; maintaining effectiveness in the face of change or ambiguity.
- The term "organization" is used in this document to refer to NRC as a whole or that part of NRC for which the individual is accountable or exerts influence.
- The levels in each competency represent performance increments. Thus, competent performance at one level assumes competent performance at all levels below.
- The proficiency levels located at the base of each competency scale are defined as follows:
- Entry - The individual who is at an early stage in their career or is at a junior level in the role and is continuing to develop.
- Working - The individual who is operating at a fully competent level in the role.
- Mastery - The individual who is seen as a master or role model.
- Exceptional - The individual who is far above others in quality or excellence.