The competencies below have been identified as key behavioural competencies contributing to excellence at the NRC. They are not intended to represent all of the competencies necessary for success in a specific position. In addition to these competencies, specific technical expertise will be required.
- Client focus
- Bringing excellence to internal or external clients by focusing efforts on discovering and meeting their needs.
- Openly communicating in a compelling, honest, persuasive and articulate manner, ensuring the message is clear, understood and consistent with the NRC's objectives.
- Conceptual & analytical ability
- Understanding, analyzing, synthesizing and relating complex information and abstract variables; drawing logical conclusions and/or providing reasonable and creative alternatives.
- Anticipating and dealing with problems and issues in a persistent manner, seizing opportunities that arise and going beyond what is expected.
- Cultivating a network of contacts as sources of information, advice and support.
- Organizational and environmental awareness
- Understanding the workings, structure and culture of the organization as well as the political, social and economic climate in which the organization operates.
- Seeking and building internal/external alliances, collaborations and services with or for clients to advance the NRC's business relationships, as well as knowledge, innovation and economic development.
- Results orientation
- Focusing efforts on achieving quality results consistent with the NRC vision.
- Self-knowing and self-development
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses and engaging in ongoing self-development and improvement; maintaining effectiveness in the face of change or ambiguity.
- Demonstrating effective interpersonal skills and working cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals.
Note: The term "organization" is used in this document to refer to the NRC as a whole or that part of the NRC for which the individual is accountable or exerts influence.