Management behavioural competency (PDF, 90 KB)
- Manages people development, their work activities and their performance with the goal of optimizing efficient use of talent. Focuses on unlocking and channelling employees' potential and sees this as the key to NRC's success. Involves planning for the development of others, coordinates actions, coaching others and diligently addressing performance issues and conflicts, both at the individual and organizational level. Includes the ability to allocate and assign human capital in the most effective and efficient manner, so to support NRC's current and evolving business needs.
Important to note: this is a companion competency to the technical competency of Human Resources Management (HRM) and to the behavioural competency of Inspirational Leadership. This competency is less about knowing specific applications of Human Resources Management (staffing) and more about using talent effectively.
- Scale progression
- The scale progresses from creating a healthy work climate for employees, to developing talent and team, to addressing current and future people management needs.
Establishes an effective work climate
- Monitors and addresses workplace well-being.
- Measures and addresses work climate irritants that limit performance.
- Manages labour relations problems; secures mediation, if required.
- Manages workload prudently and effectively.
- Resolves interpersonal or personal problems that are affecting performance.
- Reduces stress factors in the workplace as much as possible.
- Addresses harassment or discrimination quickly.
- Recognizes and acknowledges good work. Level 2
Implements rigorous people management practices
- Rigorously follows people management guidelines (i.e., for staffing, performance management, etc.).
- Implements fair and effective recruitment drives, competitions and training and development practices.
- Diligently fulfils obligations of HRM accountabilities.
- Coaches others on the importance of following sound people management practices.
- Takes corrective action when HR practices are not aligned with NRC's HRM policies.
- Seeks advice from others in how to address challenges to implementent people management practices and/or how to apply HR protocols.
Capitalizes on and grows individual talent
- Evaluates individual performance fairly, taking into account diversity.
- Identifies opportunities that challenge and encourage the development of people.
- Works one-on-one with staff to better understand their strengths and contributions.
- Provides regular feedback; acknowledges success and the need for improvement.
- Balances the needs of employees and the organization.
- Develops and supports individual career plans and learning opportunities.
- Deals promptly with ineffective performance.
Builds effective teams / units
- Coordinates work to maximize individual strengths and addresses areas for development.
- Optimizes diversity among team members to build strong teams with complementary strengths.
- Seeks to bring people into the team with complementary skills.
- Coaches, challenges and provides opportunities for growth by identifying new team assignments or sharing expertise between teams (i.e., job shadowing, cross team assignments, etc.).
- Develops HR strategy for unit's replacement planning.
- Secures funding for official languages training and other forms of training and development.
- Creates expert teams to address specific or crisis issues.
- Fosters a climate of openness, trust and solidarity among team members.
Implements broad-based people-management strategies for the future
- Implements HR strategy to ensure workforce capacity and diversity to meet current and future needs.
- Develops strategy for succession planning that supports the future mandate of the organization.
- Seeks and heeds early warning signs around resourcing and succession planning; adapts HR plans and strategies as required.
- Builds leadership throughout the organizations.
- Ensures that management teams work to develop people through appraisals, career planning and development.
- Builds an effective, sustainable organization through stewardship of human resources.
- Integrates human resource planning needs into the organization's business plan.
- Builds accountability and creates value for people management within the broader organizational community.