Place an order
Code publications produced by Codes Canada are available free in electronic format and for purchase in printed format. User's Guides now have a reduced rate for both formats.
To access both the free products and those available for purchase, place your order on-line by selecting your products through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, you can send a completed order form (PDF, 500 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, e-mail or regular mail.
Please note: Do not submit your order more than once. If you are unsure of your order's status, please call Codes Canada Publication Sales to confirm it. Please submit your order only once either by fax, by mail, by e-mail or through the Virtual Store.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm eastern time, Monday to Friday.
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
eBook format: Available from eVantage in eBook format. Note that the eVantage eBook contains additional functionality and is not a free product. To purchase, visit the eVantage on-line store.
This User's Guide is intended to help Code users understand and apply the design requirements provided in Part 4 of Division B of the National Building Code of Canada 2005. The 12 Structural Commentaries contain valuable background information and, in some cases, suggested approaches to certain design questions. The Guide deals with the following issues: limit states design, structural integrity, structural integrity of firewalls, deflections and vibration criteria for serviceability and fatigue limit states, effects of deformations in building components, tributary area, snow loads, rain loads, wind load and effects, design for seismic effects, foundations, and structural evaluation and upgrading of existing buildings.
Table of contents
- Commentary A: Limit States Design
- Commentary B: Structural Integrity
- Commentary C: Structural Integrity of Firewalls
- Commentary D: Deflection and Vibration Criteria for Serviceability and Fatigue Limit States
- Commentary E: Effects of Deformations in Building Components
- Commentary F: Tributary Area
- Commentary G: Snow Loads
- Commentary H: Rain Loads
- Commentary I: Wind Load and Effects
- Commentary J: Design for Seismic Effects
- Commentary K: Foundations
- Commentary L: Application of NBC Part 4 of Division B for the Structural Evaluation and Upgrading of Existing Buildings
- Downloadable, offline access PDF file $45.00 CAD. This file is locked to an individual computer and cannot be transferred. It cannot be installed on a network drive.
- Single user, online access subscription (1 year $25.00 CAD) allows users to view the publications online from any computer connected to the Internet.