Place an order
Code publications produced by Codes Canada are available free in electronic format and for purchase in printed format. User's Guides now have a reduced rate for both formats.
To access both the free products and those available for purchase, place your order on-line by selecting your products through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, you can send a completed order form (PDF, 500 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, e-mail or regular mail.
Please note: Do not submit your order more than once. If you are unsure of your order's status, please call Codes Canada Publication Sales to confirm it. Please submit your order only once either by fax, by mail, by e-mail or through the Virtual Store.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm eastern time, Monday to Friday.
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
eBook format: Available from eVantage in eBook format. Note that the eVantage eBook contains additional functionality and is not a free product. To purchase, visit the eVantage on-line store.
The Structural Commentaries (User’s Guide – NBC 2015: Part 4 of Division B) is intended to help Code users understand and apply the design requirements provided in Part 4 of Division B of the National Building Code of Canada 2015 (NBC). It contains valuable background information and, in some cases, suggested approaches to certain design questions related to structural sufficiency such as limit states design, snow, rain and wind loads, and design for seismic effects.
This new edition of the Structural Commentaries reflects technical changes incorporated into the NBC 2015 and provides additional information on issues likely to be addressed in the next edition of the NBC. Topics covered include blast loads, snow and live load combinations, guards and walls acting as guards, parking structures and garages, wind loads on solar arrays, and the design of structural glass. Extensive material supporting the changes related to seismic design in low-hazard locations and the determination of design seismic load is also included. Additional information is provided on new Code provisions such as those on period-based site coefficients, irregularity for gravity-induced lateral demand, Seismic Force Resisting Systems (SFRSs), flexible diaphragms, seismic isolation and supplemental energy dissipation systems, elevators and pallet racks. Information on the seismic upgrading of existing buildings has also been updated.
Table of contents
- Referenced Standards
- Commentary A: Limit States Design
- Commentary B: Structural Integrity
- Commentary C: Structural Integrity of Firewalls
- Commentary D: Deflection and Vibration Criteria for Serviceability and Fatigue Limit States
- Commentary E: Effects of Deformations in Building Components
- Commentary F: Live Loads
- Commentary G: Snow Loads
- Commentary H: Rain Loads
- Commentary I: Wind Load and Effects
- Commentary J: Design for Seismic Effects
- Commentary K: Foundations
- Commentary L: Application of NBC Part 4 of Division B for the Structural Evaluation and Upgrading of Existing Buildings
- Soft Cover $45.00 CAD
- Downloadable, offline access PDF file $45.00 CAD. This file is locked to an individual computer and cannot be transferred. It cannot be installed on a network drive.
- Single user, online access subscription (1 year $25.00 CAD) allows users to view the publications online from any computer connected to the Internet.
- Concurrent user, online access subscription (Email: CONSTPubSales-Ventes@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca for a quote) allows a number of users on the same network to access Code documents simultaneously, available only to organizations.