Direct access to codes and user's guides in electronic format!
Codes and user's guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications in the archive.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
This document, published by the National Research Council of Canada in collaboration with the Régie du bâtiment du Québec, contains both the new edition of Chapter I, Building, of the Quebec Construction Code and an amended version of the National Building Code of Canada 2015 that clearly indicates the changes adopted by Quebec. With its user-friendly format, the document is an essential resource for designers, contractors, owner-builders and regulatory officials in Quebec.
The document sets out technical requirements for all construction work on buildings and facilities intended for use by the public in Quebec.
Numerous updates have been incorporated in this edition to improve the level of health, safety, accessibility, fire and structural protection, energy efficiency and water-use efficiency provided by buildings and facilities. Significant updates include:
- design requirements for barrier-free bathtubs and showers have been revised to enhance safety and accessibility
- the integrity of fire separations has been improved to reduce the risk of fire spread
- Fire alarm and detection systems have been improved to facilitate the safe and timely evacuation of building occupants
- the apparent sound transmission class (ASTC) has been introduced to enhance the sound isolation between dwelling units
- provisions for wind, snow and ice loads have been updated, increasing the climate resilience of buildings
- minimum distances of outdoor air intakes from sources of contaminants have been specified to improve indoor air quality for the safety of building occupants
- design requirements for stairs, ramps, handrails and guards have been updated to reduce the risk of falls
Volume 1: 764 pages
Volume 2: 698 pages
- Binder: 100.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive
For questions about Code licensing, sales, technical support, to obtain accessible copies, or to learn about other accommodations, please contact the NRC's Codes Canada team.