Place an order
Code publications produced by Codes Canada are available free in electronic format and for purchase in printed format. User's Guides now have a reduced rate for both formats.
To access both the free products and those available for purchase, place your order on-line by selecting your products through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, you can send a completed order form (PDF, 302 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, e-mail or regular mail.
Please note: Do not submit your order more than once. If you are unsure of your order's status, please call Codes Canada Publication Sales to confirm it. Please submit your order only once either by fax, by mail, by e-mail or through the Virtual Store.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm eastern time, Monday to Friday.
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
The National Fire Code – 2019 Alberta Edition is based on the National Fire Code of Canada 2015. It establishes fire protection requirements for the safe use and maintenance of buildings, including references to design and construction standards in the National Building Code – 2019 Alberta Edition. It also applies to the conduct of activities that might cause fire hazards in and around buildings, fire safety at construction sites, the establishment of fire safety plans, and the design, construction and use of storage tanks for flammable and combustible liquids.
Highlights of updates to this edition
- The requirements on consumer fireworks have been removed, except for those on the safe storage of consumer fireworks, so as to harmonize the NFC(AE) with the National Fire Code of Canada.
- Provisions have been added to improve the availability of information on the compatibility and toxicity of chemicals and the associated physical hazards related to the handling, transport and use of these chemicals.
- Provisions regarding the identification, ventilation, use and storage of dangerous and hazardous goods in laboratories in hospitals, research facilities, clinics and other industrial facilities have been changed.
- Changes have been made to the storage limit of flammable and combustible liquids in self-service storage buildings.
- The publication year of some referenced standards has been updated and new referenced standards have been added.
- Changes have been made to the location of hot works operations.
NEW - Automatic Code Adoption
Alberta regulations that adopt construction and installation safety codes have been amended to allow for the automatic adoption of codes from national and standards development organizations. Automatic or timely code adoption means that a regular date is established for when codes come into force so that stakeholders and the public can plan ahead. It ensures that Alberta codes will be more harmonized with the national codes with respect to the publication date and the technical content. Alberta may still develop province-specific variants where necessary.
Under timely code adoption, national codes are adopted automatically upon publication and come into effect in Alberta 12 months after the publication date, on the first day of the following month (e.g., publication of a national code on November 12, 2020 means it will come into effect in Alberta on December 1, 2021). However, the Minister, by order, may bring a code into effect earlier or later if deemed necessary. Timely code adoption will apply to the 2020 code publication cycle for the building, fire, plumbing and energy codes. In addition to the annual public review of proposed changes to the national codes, the Government of Alberta and the Safety Codes Council will continue to review code changes and conduct any necessary public consultations.
Table of Contents - National Fire Code – 2019 Alberta Edition, NFC(AE)
- Relationship of the AFC(AE) to Standards Development and Conformity Assessment
- Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes and Standing Committees
- The Safety Codes Council
- Alberta Municipal Affairs
- Division A - Compliance, Objectives and Functional Statements
- Part 1 - Compliance
- Part 2 - Objectives
- Part 3 - Functional Statements
- Division B - Acceptable Solutions
- Part 1 - General
- Part 2 - Building and Occupant Fire Safety
- Part 3 - Indoor and Outdoor Storage
- Part 4 - Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Part 5 - Hazardous Processes and Operations
- Part 6 - Fire Protection Equipment
- Part 7 - Fire Emergency Systems in High Buildings
- Division C - Administrative Provisions
- Part 1 - General
- Part 2 - Administrative Provisions
- Binder $65.00 CAD
- Free downloadable, offline access PDF file. This Code is locked to an individual computer and cannot be transferred. It cannot be installed on a network drive.
- Free single user, online access subscription allows users to view the publications online from any computer connected to the Internet.