Direct access to codes and user's guides in electronic format!
Codes and user's guides published by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) are available directly through the NRC Publications Archive in free electronic format. To access the electronic documents, visit the online collection of Codes Canada publications in the archive.
To purchase the publications in print format, please continue to place your order online through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, send a completed order form (PDF, 164 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, email or regular mail.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time, Monday to Friday
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
The National Building Code of Canada (NBC) 2020, developed by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes and published by the National Research Council of Canada, sets out technical requirements for the design and construction of new buildings, as well as the alteration, change of use and demolition of existing buildings.
Over 280 technical changes have been incorporated in this new edition, improving the level of safety, health, accessibility, fire and structural protection, and energy efficiency provided by the Code, and expanding the NBC into new areas.
Significant changes in the NBC 2020
- Technical requirements for large farm buildings are added, which address fire protection, occupant safety, structural design, and heating, ventilating and air-conditioning.
- Encapsulated mass timber construction is introduced, enabling the construction of wood buildings with up to 12 storeys.
- Accessibility requirements are updated to reduce barriers related to anthropometrics, plumbing facilities, signage, entrances and elevators.
- Design requirements for evaporative equipment are revised to minimize the growth and transmission of Legionella and other bacteria.
- A home-type care occupancy is introduced to allow safe and affordable care in a home-type setting.
- Energy performance tiers are established to provide a framework for achieving higher levels of energy efficiency in housing and small buildings.
Volume 1: 792 pages
Volume 2: 708 pages
- Binder $100.00 CAD
- Soft cover $80.00 CAD
- Free PDF file available through the NRC Publications Archive
For questions about Code licensing, sales, technical support, to obtain accessible copies, or to learn about other accommodations, please contact the NRC's Codes Canada team.