Place an order
Code publications produced by Codes Canada are available free in electronic format and for purchase in printed format. User's Guides now have a reduced rate for both formats.
To access both the free products and those available for purchase, place your order on-line by selecting your products through the NRC Virtual Store. Alternatively, you can send a completed order form (PDF, 500 KB) to Codes Canada Publication Sales by fax, e-mail or regular mail.
Please note: Do not submit your order more than once. If you are unsure of your order's status, please call Codes Canada Publication Sales to confirm it. Please submit your order only once either by fax, by mail, by e-mail or through the Virtual Store.
Phone: 1-800-672-7990 or 1-613-993-2463
Opening Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm eastern time, Monday to Friday.
To choose the right edition of the Code for your jurisdiction, check with the municipal, provincial or territorial official.
eBook format: Available from eVantage in eBook format. Note that the eVantage eBook contains additional functionality and is not a free product. To purchase, visit the eVantage on-line store.
The Illustrated User’s Guide – NBC 2015: Part 9 of Division B, Housing and Small Buildings features hundreds of graphics, examples and formulas. This latest edition includes updated illustrations that are more consistent with common architectural rendering and more easily understood.
The User’s Guide helps builders and designers understand the National Building Code 2015 as it applies to them. The Guide illustrates important principles of minimum accepted practice and explains the reasons and scientific background behind the Part 9 requirements. This is not a how-to guide on home construction; however, relevant code information is cross-referenced and statistical sources are provided.
Table of contents
- The National Building Code
- Part 9:
- Notable Changes Affecting Part 9 in NBC 2015
- Section 9.1.: General
- Section 9.2.: Definitions
- Section 9.3.: Materials, Systems and Equipment
- Section 9.4.: Structural Requirements
- Section 9.5.: Design of Areas and Spaces
- Section 9.6.: Glass
- Section 9.7.: Windows, Doors and Skylights
- Section 9.8.: Stairs, Ramps, Handrails and Guards
- Section 9.9.: Means of Egress
- Section 9.10.: Fire Protection
- Section 9.11.: Sound Transmission
- Section 9.12.: Excavation
- Section 9.13.: Dampproofing, Waterproofing and Soil Gas Control
- Section 9.14.: Drainage
- Section 9.15.: Footings and Foundations
- Section 9.16.: Floors-on-Ground
- Section 9.17.: Columns
- Section 9.18.: Crawl Spaces
- Section 9.19.: Roof Spaces
- Section 9.20.: Masonry and Insulating Concrete Form Walls Not In Contact with the Ground
- Section 9.21.: Masonry and Concrete Chimneys and Flues
- Section 9.22.: Fireplaces
- Section 9.23.: Wood-Frame Construction
- Section 9.24.: Sheet Steel Stud Wall Framing
- Section 9.25.: Heat Transfer, Air Leakage and Condensation Control
- Section 9.26.: Roofing
- Section 9.27.: Cladding
- Section 9.28.: Stucco
- Section 9.29.: Interior Wall and Ceiling Finishes
- Section 9.30.: Flooring
- Section 9.31.: Plumbing Facilities
- Section 9.32.: Ventilation
- Section 9.33.: Heating and Air-conditioning
- Section 9.34.: Electrical Facilities
- Section 9.35.: Garages and Carports
- Section 9.36.: Energy Efficiency
- Appendix A: Symbols and Other Abbreviations
- Appendix B: Abbreviations of Proper Names
- Soft Cover $75.00 CAD
- Downloadable, offline access PDF file $75.00 CAD. This file is locked to an individual computer and cannot be transferred. It cannot be installed on a network drive.
- Single user, online access subscription (1 year $40.00 CAD) allows users to view the publications online from any computer connected to the Internet.
- Concurrent user, online access subscription (Email: CONSTPubSales-Ventes@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca for a quote) allows a number of users on the same network to access Code documents simultaneously, available only to organizations.