[CCMC evaluation requirements] CAN/ULC-S702-14, Type 1
From: National Research Council Canada
This document provides a summary of the minimum requirements imposed by the Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) for all evaluations based on the below criteria document. Additional requirements may be imposed by the CCMC when necessary for a particular evaluation, and are detailed in the individual evaluation.
|Number||CAN/ULC-S702-14, Type 1|
|Title||Standard for Mineral Fibre Thermal Insulation For Buildings|
These evaluations apply to mineral fibre thermal insulation in the form of faced and unfaced batts, rolls, and boards.
The standard describes five types of mineral fibre insulation. These CCMC evaluations refer only to preformed insulation Type 1. They are defined as unfaced mineral fibre insulation.
The evaluation holder must demonstrate that the product meets the following requirements (additional requirements may be imposed by the CCMC when necessary, and are detailed in the individual evaluation):
|Length||–1%, +3% for batts and rolls|
|–3 mm, +10 mm for boards and sheets|
|Width||–0%, +3% for batts and rolls|
|± 3 mm for boards|
|Thickness||Mean thickness ≥ the design thickness and none of the individual specimen thicknesses < 90% of the design thickness|
|–1 mm, +3 mm for boards|
|Thermal resistance||Mean thermal resistance ≥ the design thermal resistance (as stated on the product)|
|Thermal resistivity||≥ 18.5 (m·K)/W|
|Surface burning characteristics||For Type 1 products not intended for exterior of basement walls: Flame-spread classification must not exceed 25; smoke-developed classification must not exceed 50.|
|Smoulder resistance||Applicable only to Type 1 products, not intended for exterior of basement walls. Mean mass loss ≤ 2% and each specimen ≤ 3%. Smoulder zone must not reach specimen periphery.|
|Compressive resistance of draining insulation||Not applicable to batts or rolls|
|Applicable to draining insulation only. Compressive resistance for a 38 mm or thicker draining insulation must be at least 7 kPa at 10% deformation and for thinner than 38 mm it must be at least 10 kPa at 25% deformation.|
|Water vapour permeance||Batts and rolls: not applicable for Type 1 products|
|Boards: applicable to adhered membrane/insulation or to non-adhered membranes|
|Corrosiveness||Applicable to Type 1 batts and rolls|
|Boards: corrosion ≤ control|
|Fungi resistance||Applicable to Type 1 batts and rolls|
|Boards: growth ≤ comparative item|
© Underwriters Laboratories of Canada Inc. Reprinted with permission. This material is not the complete and official position of ULC Standards on the referenced subject, which is represented only by the ULC Standard in its entirety.
The CCMC requires that evaluation holders provide instructions for the installation of the product(s) that:
- do not contravene the National Building Code of Canada, or any provincial or territorial building codes; and
- meet the requirements of CCMC minimum documentation requirements.
The CCMC requires that evaluation holders, at a minimum, demonstrate that the associated production process:
- is operated under a documented quality system; and
- meets the minimum requirements of the CCMC minimum documentation requirements.
The CCMC requires that evaluation holders ensure that product labels:
- reference the associated CCMC number or mark; and
- meet the requirements of CCMC minimum documentation requirements.
In addition, the standard requires that packaging for the insulation be labelled or marked with the following information:
- brand name and the name of the manufacturer or supplier;
- identification of the manufacturing facility location;
- type of insulation and its intended use;
- net content of package in m2;
- number of pieces per package;
- design linear dimensions of the pieces in the package in mm;
- design thickness in mm;
- thermal resistance in (m2·K)/W to one decimal place;
- date of manufacture or shift code;
- statement that the product complies with the standard; and
- for preformed insulation without a membrane (Type 1 material), except for draining insulation, a cautionary statement:
“CAUTION: Building, electrical, fire and other applicable codes shall be complied with. All heat-emitting devices, such as fuelburning appliances, chimneys, pipes, ducts and vents to these appliances shall maintain a minimum clearance of 50 mm between these devices and the insulation. Recessed light fixtures, unless designed for the purpose, shall not be installed in insulated ceilings."
Where applicable, the product must carry additional information as stated below:
- If the product is intended for application at thicknesses other than the design thickness, the thermal resistance and application for each intended secondary application must be shown in similar print at a character height of at least half that of the design characters (with a minimum of 15 mm). The associated thickness of the secondary application must also be shown. This secondary application, thermal resistance and thickness information must be located on the same sides, excluding the ends, of the package as the design thermal resistance, application and thickness designations.
- Any necessary user safety information, unless a separate information sheet is provided.
Depending upon the jurisdiction, additional marking may be required by applicable acts and regulations.
Products falling within the scope of this document are commonly classified by:
- 06 16 00 Sheathing
- 07 20 00 Thermal Protection
- 07 21 13 Board Insulation
- 07 21 13.16 Fibrous Board Insulation
- 07 21 13.19 Mineral Board Insulation
- 07 21 16 Blanket Insulation
- 09 81 00 Acoustic Insulation
- 09 81 13 Acoustic Board Insulation
- 09 81 16 Acoustic Blanket Insulation
Published CCMC evaluations
The following products have been evaluated to these requirements by the CCMC:
|CCMC number:||Manufacturer:||Product names:|
|05650-L||Owens Corning Canada Inc.||PINK NEXT GEN™ FIBERGLAS® Insulation|
|12739-L||Owens Corning Canada Inc.||BMR|
|12851-L||Owens Corning Canada Inc.||ATTICAT™, PROPINK®|
|14059-L||Thermafiber Inc./Owens Corning||Thermafiber® SAFB™, Fire & Sound Guard™, Thermafiber® UltraBatt™|
|14060-L||Thermafiber Inc./Owens Corning||FireSpan® 90, VersaBoard® 35, RainBarrier® 45, FireSpan® 40, RainBarrier® HD, VersaBoard® 40, VersaBoard® 80, VersaBoard® 60, RainBarrier® CI High Compressive (80), RainBarrier® CI Plus (110), RainBarrier® CI Max, RainBarrier® HD Dark™, RainBarrier® 45 Dark™, Thermafiber® Safing|
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|Code references||Code provision|
|18.104.22.168.(1)||Except as required in Sentence 22.214.171.124. ...|
|A-126.96.36.199.(1)||Selection of Materials and Componentsand Compliance with Referenced Standards|
|A-188.8.131.52.(1)||Calculating the Effective Thermal Resistance of Building Envelope Assemblies|
|Table 184.108.40.206.||Standards Applicable to Environmental Separators and Assemblies Exposed to the Exterior|
|Table 220.127.116.11.A||Wall Sheathing Thickness and Specifications|