[CCMC 14118-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
|Product name:||Builders Blue-Eco™|
|Code compliance:||NBC 2015|
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
Code compliance opinion
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated product, when used as a breather-type sheathing membrane in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, complies with the following code:
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
|09-27-03-02-00-0-00||188.8.131.52. Sheathing Membrane Material Standard||Alternative|
The above opinion is based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
Product nameBuilders Blue-Eco™
The product is a micro-perforated polyolefin-based fabric composed of woven scrim, polypropylene lamination, ultra-violet inhibitors and coloring agents. The underlayment has an overall weight of 65 g/m2 .
The product is light blue-green or white; it is 0.10 mm thick and is available in different roll sizes ranging from 1.22 m to 3.05 m in width and 30.48 m to 38.10 m in length.
The roll material is applied over exterior sheathing material with the printed side out so that it forms a continuous envelope around the entire building.
This evaluation is valid only for products produced at the following plant:
|Product name||Manufacturing plant|
|Jimo, Shandong, China|
|Builders Blue-Eco™||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- The product can be used as a breather-type sheathing membrane under commonly used types of exterior cladding to reduce the risk of water infiltration. The main purpose is to create a continuous envelope around the occupied areas of residential or light commercial construction. Such continuity is achieved by overlapping or sealing the product either to itself using the CCMC-evaluated contractor sheathing tape or to other construction materials using an acoustical sealant.
- A conforming installation must be:
- installed with the printed side facing outward;
- protected from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun within 60 days;
- installed according to Article 184.108.40.206., Required Sheathing Membrane and Installation, of Division B of the NBC 2015, and the manufacturer’s current instructions;
- installed with a minimum 10 mm air space between the sheathing membrane and the cladding, unless the cladding has been deemed to not require an air space (e.g., deemed by the CCMC or by building officials based on past cladding performance);
- installed with the material overlapping 75 mm to 150 mm at vertical joints and 100 mm at horizontal joints; and
- installed with joints taped and sealed around both window and door openings.
- A concealed air space exceeding 25 mm in width must contain proper fire blocking, in accordance with Subsection 9.10.16., Fire Blocks, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- The product must be clearly identified with the name of the manufacturer or logo and “CCMC 14118-R.”
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-072510.03-15||CCMC Technical Guide for Sheathing Membrane, Breather Type|
The evaluation holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
The NBC 2015 compliance data for the product on which the CCMC based its opinion in the code compliance opinion section is presented below.
|Sheet width||−||Tolerance: –6 mm of specified width||Pass|
|Water vapour permeance||ng/(Pa·s·m2)||≥ 170||331|
|Water ponding of original samples||−||No leakage||PassTable footnote (1)|
|Tensile strength after UV exposure||% retention of original||≥ 90||108|
|Tensile strength after UV and heat aging||% retention of original||≥ 85||111|
|Water vapour permeance of UV and heat-aged sample||ng/(Pa·s·m2)||≥ 170||400|
|Water ponding of UV and heat-aged samples||−||No leakage||PassTable footnote (1)|
Use of Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) assessments
This assessment must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments, any applicable building code or by-law requirements, and/or any other regulatory requirements (for example, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.).
It is the responsibility of the user to confirm that the assessment they are using is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later version on the CCMC Registry of Product Assessments.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has evaluated only the characteristics of the specific product described herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (such as authorities having jurisdiction, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is valid when the product is used as part of permitted construction, respecting all conditions and limitations stated in the evaluation, and in accordance with applicable building codes and by-laws.
This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty or guarantee of any kind, expressed or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated product. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use of or reliance on the information contained herein or the use of any evaluated product. The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2023
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.