[CCMC 14065-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
|Code compliance:||NBC 2015, OBC|
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
Code compliance opinion
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated product, when used as a sound-insulating panel within the wall assemblies specified in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, complies with the following code:
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
|09-10-03-01-00-0-00||220.127.116.11. Fire-Resistance and Fire-Protection Ratings||Acceptable|
|09-11-01-01-00-0-00||18.104.22.168. Required Protection||Acceptable|
|09-11-01-02-00-0-00||22.214.171.124. Determination of Sound Transmission Ratings||Acceptable|
|09-11-01-03-00-0-00||126.96.36.199. Compliance with Required Ratings||Acceptable|
|09-25-02-02-00-0-00||188.8.131.52. Insulation Materials||Acceptable|
Ontario Building Code
Ruling No. 18-03-352 (14065-R) authorizing the use of this product in Ontario, subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Ruling, was made by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on 2018-03-07 pursuant to s.29 of the Building Code Act, 1992 (see Ruling for terms and conditions). This Ruling is subject to periodic revisions and updates.
The above opinion is based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
The product is a sound-insulating fibreboard covered on one side with trilaminate film (aluminum/polyethylene/kraft paper). It is manufactured in 1219 mm × 2464 mm sheets that are 15.9 mm thick.
The product is installed within the manufacturer’s specified wall assemblies shown in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table.
This evaluation is valid only for products produced at the following plant:
|Product name||Manufacturing plant|
|Pont-Rouge, QC, CA|
|SoundSmart||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- The wall assemblies described in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table must be used in dwelling units that meet Part 9, Housing and Small Buildings, of Division B of the NBC 2015. Where the wall assemblies are used as a separating wall between two dwelling units, the wall assemblies must be installed with adjoining construction (floor/wall/ceiling assembly) that meets the prescriptive requirement details of Article 184.108.40.206., Adjoining Constructions, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- The wall assemblies must have a sound transmission class (STC) rating of at least 50, as required by Clause 220.127.116.11.(1)(b) of Division B of the NBC 2015. Where a dwelling unit is adjacent to an elevator shaft or a refuse chute, the separating wall assembly must have an STC rating of at least 55 as required by Sentence 18.104.22.168.(3) (required protection for construction separating a dwelling unit from an elevator shaft or refuse chute) of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- A ULC Listing showing that the sound-insulating assemblies specified in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table meet the Code’s fire-rating requirements is required in buildings where the NBC 2015 requires a fire-resistance rating for wall assemblies. Ratings must be determined in accordance with CAN/ULC-S101-14, “Fire Endurance Tests of Building Construction and Materials.” Users of this Evaluation Report must request a copy of the ULC Listing from Building Products of Canada Corp.
- The STC values published in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table are valid for the wall configurations shown in the table and the additional construction details described in the referenced notes to the table.
- The wall assemblies’ components presented in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table (glass fibre insulation batt, gypsum board, wood studs and steel studs) and their installation must comply with NBC 2015 requirements and the Building Products of Canada Corp.’s installation manual.
- The wall assemblies described in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table that include steel studs are for non-loadbearing applications.
- The product must be installed by an informed and knowledgeable installer.
- The product must be identified with the phrase “CCMC 14065-R.”
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-098113.01-15A||CCMC Technical Guide for Sound Insulating Fibreboard|
The evaluation holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC’s evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
The SoundSmart fibreboard used within the wall assemblies shown in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table conforms to CAN/ULC-S706-09, Type II, Class 7, as presented in the table below.
Dimensions and tolerances
|thickness||%||± 9% of 15.9 mm (the declared value)||15.1|
|length||mm/m||0 to -5||1 215|
|width||mm/m||0 to -5||2 460|
|Water vapour permeance||ng/(Pa∙s∙m2)||Maximum 60||43.3|
|Air permeance at 75 Pa pressure difference||L/(s∙m2)||Maximum 0.02||0.001|
|Water absorption by volume||%||Maximum 10||5.7|
|Linear moisture expansion||%||Maximum 0.5||0.1|
|Thermal resistance for a 25-mm-thick panel||m2∙K/W||Minimum 0.410||0.55|
|Transverse load at rupture||N||Minimum 62||85|
|parallel to the surface||kPa||Minimum 1 000||2 228|
|perpendicular to the surface||kPa||n/a for Type II, Class 7||38.8|
|Compressive strength at 10% deformation||kPa||n/a for Type II, Class 7||186.1|
Resilient metal channel properties
The resilient metal channel used within the wall assemblies shown in the Sound transmission class (STC) rating table conforms to the Resilient metal channel properties table. A schematic description of the channel is shown in Figure 5 and Figure 6 in the Acoustic Performance section.
|Corrosion resistanceTable footnote (2)||n/a||Minimum G40||Pass|
The acoustical performance of four wall assemblies enclosing the SoundSmart panel has been evaluated in terms of airborne sound transmission loss. The airborne sound transmission measurements have been conducted in accordance with the requirements of ASTM E90-09, “Standard Test Method for Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Sound Transmission Loss of Building Partitions and Elements.” Based on these measurements, the STC rating for the four wall assemblies was determined in accordance with ASTM E413-10, “Classification for Rating Sound Insulation,” and published in the table below.
|Property||RequirementTable footnote (1)||Result||Description||Wall assembly (horizontal cross-section)|
Use of Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) assessments
This assessment must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments, any applicable building code or by-law requirements, and/or any other regulatory requirements (for example, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.).
It is the responsibility of the user to confirm that the assessment they are using is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later version on the CCMC Registry of Product Assessments.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has evaluated only the characteristics of the specific product described herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (such as authorities having jurisdiction, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is valid when the product is used as part of permitted construction, respecting all conditions and limitations stated in the evaluation, and in accordance with applicable building codes and by-laws.
This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty or guarantee of any kind, expressed or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated product. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use of or reliance on the information contained herein or the use of any evaluated product. The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2023
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.