[CCMC 13287-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
Credit Valley Steel Products Inc
6393 Yatton Side Road R.R. # 2
|Code compliance:||NBC 2015|
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
Code compliance opinion
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated products, when used as joist hangers or framing connectors in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, comply with the following code:
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
|04-03-01-01-00-0-00||188.8.131.52. Design Basis for Wood||Acceptable|
|04-03-01-01-00-0-00||184.108.40.206. Design Basis for Wood||Alternative|
|09-23-03-04-00-0-00||220.127.116.11. Nailing of Framing||Alternative|
|09-23-09-02-02-a-00||18.104.22.168.(2)(a) Joist hangers or other acceptable connectors||Acceptable|
|09-23-09-02-02-b-00||22.214.171.124.(2)(b) Joists Supported by Beams||Alternative|
|09-23-09-07-00-0-00||126.96.36.199. Support of Tail and Header Joists||Acceptable|
The above opinion is based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
- ALMCAN Hurricane Tie
- ALMCAN Joist Hangers
- ALMCAN Rafter Tie
The joist hangers identified in the Results of testing of factored resistances of the hanger series table are used to transfer the loads from the supported member to the supporting member. They are face-mount hangers that are fabricated in cold-form with light steel gauge. The steel gauge of the hangers is indicated in the Results of testing of factored resistances of the hanger series table. A typical drawing of the hanger model series is shown in Figure 1.
The hurricane tie and rafter tie identified in the Results of testing of factored resistances of the hurricane tie and rafter tie table are used where additional protection is required against wind uplift from seismic and wind loads. They are fabricated in cold-form with light steel gauge. The steel gauge of the connectors is indicated in the Results of testing of factored resistances of the hurricane tie and rafter tie table. A typical drawing of the connector model is shown in Figure 2.
The steel of the hangers with model No. 452 to 462 is coated with a corrosion protection of G153 designation from the standard ASTM A 653/A 653M-04, “Steel Sheet, Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) or Zinc-Iron Alloy-Coated (Galvannealed) by the Hot Dip Process.” The steel of the other hangers and connectors is coated with a corrosion protection of G60.
This evaluation is valid only for products produced at the following plant:
|Product names||Manufacturing plant|
|Wallenstein, ON, CA|
|ALMCAN Hurricane Tie||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
|ALMCAN Joist Hangers||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
|ALMCAN Rafter Tie||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- The pre-engineered wood members assembled with the evaluated joist hangers must be designed in accordance with Part 4 of Division B of the NBC 2015 by a professional engineer licensed to practise under a provincial or territorial legislation.
- The joist hangers are used to support joists consisting of lumber, wood trusses, glued-laminated timber, prefabricated wood I-joists or structural composite lumber. The pre-engineered wood members must conform to the manufacturer’s specifications and instructions (e.g., web stiffeners, filler blocks and backer blocks for I-joists).
- The design values (factored resistances) for joist hangers provided in this Report are valid for the wood species and the hanger models shown in the Results of testing of factored resistances of the hanger series table. However, the design value (factored resistance) can be valid for other wood products provided that:
- the relative density (or compressive strength perpendicular to grain, fcp) of the proposed wood product is equal or superior to the actual wood product tested with the hanger; and
- where structural composite lumber (SCL) products are intended to be used, only TimberStrand® (LSL), Parallam® (PSL) and laminated veneer lumber (LVL) of vertical veneer are acceptable. Southgate Manufacturing Inc. must confirm acceptance of the use of a SCL product with their hanger and provide installation instructions.
- Fastener specifications shown in the Results of testing of factored resistances of the hanger series and Results of testing of factored resistances of the hurricane tie and rafter tie tables must be used for the published values to be valid. The joist hanger must be fastened to both the supported member and supporting member. All fastener holes must be filled, or there must be a minimum number of nails as per the engineer’s specifications.
- The hanger must not display any fracturing in either the protective coating or the base metal.
- When used in attics, at rim boards or in high humidity or corrosive environments, the user must consult the manufacturer to determine the appropriate level of corrosion protection for the intended use of the joist hanger and connector.
- The products must be installed by an informed and knowledgeable installer.
- The products listed in the Results of testing of factored resistances of the hanger series and Results of testing of factored resistances of the hurricane tie and rafter tie tables must be identified with the phrase “CCMC 13287-R.”
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-060523.06-15||CCMC Technical Guide for Joist Hangers|
The evaluation holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC’s evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
|Model No.||Mat. (ga.)||Hanger
|Wood members tested||Fastener schedule||Factored
|210||22||39.7||127||44.5||1 – 38 × 140 SPF||1 – 38 × 140 SPF||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4.09|
|210||22||39.7||127||44.5||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4 – 10d × 1.5 in.||3.94|
|212||22||77.8||127||44.5||1 – 38 × 140 SPF||2 – 38 × 140 SPF||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4.38|
|216||22||39.7||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||5.45|
|216||22||39.7||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||5.83|
|218||22||77.8||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||2 – 38 × 184 SPF||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||6.61|
|220||22||39.7||203.2||44.5||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||7.78|
|222||22||77.8||203.2||44.5||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||2 – 38 × 235 SPF||12 – 10d × 1.5 in.||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||8.32|
|228||20||117.5||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||3 – 38 × 184 SPF||12 – 10d × 1.5 in.||12 – 10d × 1.5 in.||9.01|
|228||20||117.5||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||3 – 38 × 235 SPF||12 – 10d × 1.5 in.||12 – 10d × 1.5 in.||9.75|
|452-3||18||39.7||127||44.5||1 – 38 × 140 SPF||1 – 38 × 140 SPF||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4.99|
|452-3||18||39.7||127||44.5||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4 – 10d × 1.5 in.||4.22|
|454-3||18||77.8||127||44.5||1 – 38 × 140 SPF||2 – 38 × 140 SPF||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||5.42|
|456-3||18||39.7||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||5.91|
|456-3||18||39.7||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||8 – 10d × 1.5 in.||6.99|
|458-3||18||77.8||171.5||44.5||1 – 38 × 184 SPF||2 – 38 × 184 SPF||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||6.84|
|460-3||18||39.7||203.2||44.5||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||10 – 10d × 1.5 in.||7.47|
|462-3||18||77.8||203.2||44.5||1 – 38 × 235 SPF||2 – 38 × 235 SPF||12 – 10d × 1.5 in.||12 – 10d × 1.5 in.||10.98|
|Model||Mat. (ga.)||Hanger dimensions (mm)||Wood members tested||Fastener schedule||Factored uplift resistance (kN)|
|W||H (H1 for hurricane tie)||D (H2 for hurricane tie)||Header (connector)/plate (ties)||Joist (connector)/rafter (ties)||Header||Joist|
|Hurricane tie No. 244||18||39.7||76.2||133.4||2 – 38 × 89 S-P-F||1 – 38 × 89 S-P-F||4 – 10d × 1.5 in.||6 – 10d × 1.5 in.||1.76|
|Rafter tie No. 245||18||38.1||136.5||–||2 – 38 × 89 S-P-F||1 – 38 × 89 S-P-F||5 – 8d × 1.5 in.||5 – 8d × 1.5 in.||3.94|
This evaluation is issued by the Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC), a part of the Construction Research Centre at the National Research Council of Canada (NRC). The evaluation must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments and the legislated applicable building code in effect.
The CCMC was established in 1988 on behalf of the applicable regulator (i.e., the provinces and territories) to ensure—through assessment—conformity of alternative and acceptable solutions to regional building codes as determined by the local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) as part of the issuance of a building permit.
It is the responsibility of the local AHJs, design professionals, and specifiers to confirm that the evaluation is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later issue. Please refer to the website or contact:
Canadian Construction Materials Centre
Construction Research Centre
National Research Council of Canada
1200 Montreal Road
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0R6
The NRC has evaluated the material, product, system or service described herein only for those characteristics stated herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (i.e., AHJs, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is only valid when the product is installed in strict compliance with the stated conditions and limitations of evaluation and the applicable local building code. In circumstances where no applicable local building permit is issued and that no confirmation of compliance ‘for use in the intended field application’ is undertaken, this evaluation is null and void in all respects. This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty, or guarantee of any kind, expressed, or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated material, product, system or service described herein. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use and reliance on the information contained in this evaluation with respect to its compliance to the referenced code(s) and standard(s). The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2022
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.