[CCMC 13067-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
Tremco CPG Inc.
3735 Green Road
|Code compliance:||NBC 2010, OBC|
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
Code compliance opinion
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated product, when used as a cold liquid-applied polymer-enhanced asphalt in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, complies with the following code:
National Building Code of Canada 2010
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
|09-13-03-01-00-0-00||18.104.22.168. Required Waterproofing||Acceptable|
|09-13-03-02-00-0-00||22.214.171.124. Material Standards||Acceptable|
|09-13-03-03-00-0-00||126.96.36.199. Standards for Application||Acceptable|
|09-13-03-05-00-0-00||188.8.131.52. Application of Waterproofing Membranes||Acceptable|
Ontario Building Code
Ruling No. 04-11-115 (13067-R) authorizing the use of this product in Ontario, subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Ruling, was made by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on 2009-08-14 (revised 2019-08-02) pursuant to s.29 of the Building Code Act, 1992 (see Ruling for terms and conditions). This Ruling is subject to periodic revisions and updates.
The above opinion is based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
The product is a single component, liquid-applied, polymer-enhanced asphalt that is applied with a high pressure airless spray to the exterior of foundation walls (poured-in-place concrete or unit masonry) to create a waterproofing membrane that is 1–3 mm thick (dry film).
This evaluation is valid only for products produced at the following plant:
|Product name||Manufacturing plant|
|Medina, OH, US|
|WatchDog®||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- Use of the product has been evaluated for application depths not more than 3 m as covered in Part 9 of Division B of the NBC 2010.
- The foundation wall must be backfilled in accordance with the NBC 2010.
- The poured-in-place concrete wall must be cured prior to the application of the product.
- The maximum hydrostatic pressure that the membrane can sustain is 48 kPa for five days.
- Unit masonry and poured-in-place concrete walls must meet the surface preparation requirements of Article 184.108.40.206., Preparation of Surface, and Article 220.127.116.11., Preparation of Surface, of Division B of the NBC 2010.
- Backfill must be placed in a manner that does not damage the foundation wall or the waterproof membrane. The foundation wall must be backfilled in accordance with the requirements of Subsection 9.12.3., Backfill, of Division B of the NBC 2010.
- The product must be applied by installers qualified and approved by Tremco Barrier Solutions, Inc. in accordance with the manufacturer’s conditions, procedures, and directions.
- The thickness of the membrane installed throughout the foundation wall must meet the minimum dry-film thickness of the evaluated product.
- While the waterproofing continuity of the membrane to other parts of the wall (e.g., slabs, footings) is beyond the scope of this Evaluation Report, the installer must follow engineer-approved solutions to provide the waterproofing continuity.
- The membrane application must stop at ground level. The exposed above-grade portion of the membrane after soil settling must be protected from UV radiation and mechanical impact with additional backfill that would be graded away from the foundation.
- The use of the product is limited to installation over foundation walls facing normal soil conditions. When used in soils containing high levels of organic matter, chemicals and microbiological activity, the manufacturer must be consulted to determine the suitability of installation.
- Following its application, the entire membrane must be protected from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation within three weeks of its application and in accordance with the manufacturer’s additional recommendations.
- The wall and footings must be dry and free of dirt during application.
- Any water must be removed from the concrete surface and it must be dry prior to application of the product.
- Prior to backfilling:
- The membrane must be first inspected to detect any defects (e.g., holes, tears, bubbles) and be repaired in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- The membrane must be covered with a protection board that consists of a semi-rigid or rigid board with a smooth surface facing the membrane (e.g., mineral fibre boards, expanded polystyrene/extruded polystyrene (EPS/XPS) boards or other equivalent board). The protection boards must not be installed using fasteners to prevent penetrations through the membrane below grade. See the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding the use of adhesive and tape to secure the protection boards.
- The product must be clearly identified with the phrase “CCMC 13067-R.”
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-071416.01-10||CCMC Technical Guide for Liquid-Applied Membrane for Waterproofing Concrete Foundation Wall|
The Report Holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC’s evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
|Dry film thickness||mm||Measured values must be ± 10% of the manufacturer's specified value (report the manufacturer's declared value)||1.02|
|Tensile strength||kPa||Report value||171|
|Specific gravity||–||Report value||0.925|
|Water absorption||%||≤ 3||2.9|
|Low temperature flexibility||–||No cracking (naked eye)||Pass|
|Puncture resistance||–||No perforation (29 N static load applied for 24 h)||Pass|
|Impact resistance at 23°C||J||Report values||7.8|
|Impact resistance at −10°C||J||Report values||5.6|
|Impact resistance watertightness after impact||J||No leakage after impact||Pass|
|Crack bridging/cyclic movement resistance at 20°C||–||No visible cracking, blistering or other defects visible to the naked eye||Pass|
|Crack bridging/cyclic movement resistance at 30 cycles (un-aged specimen)||–|
|Crack bridging/cyclic movement resistance at 5 cycles (aged specimen)||–|
|Peel adhesionTable footnote (1) after water immersion||N/m||≥ 175||699|
|Chemical resistance hydrochloric acid (10%)||–||No loss of film integrity||Pass|
|Chemical resistance lime water saturated||–||No loss of film integrity||Pass|
|Chemical resistance sodium hydroxide (10%)||–||No loss of film integrity||Pass|
|Accelerated weathering tensile strength after exposure||%||No deterioration of film ≥ 90% of original value (see Table "Material physical properties test results")||Pass|
Use of Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) assessments
This assessment must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments, any applicable building code or by-law requirements, and/or any other regulatory requirements (for example, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.).
It is the responsibility of the user to confirm that the assessment they are using is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later version on the CCMC Registry of Product Assessments.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has evaluated only the characteristics of the specific product described herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (such as authorities having jurisdiction, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is valid when the product is used as part of permitted construction, respecting all conditions and limitations stated in the evaluation, and in accordance with applicable building codes and by-laws.
This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty or guarantee of any kind, expressed or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated product. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use of or reliance on the information contained herein or the use of any evaluated product. The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2023
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.