[CCMC 12808-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
EIDCA Specialty Products Company (company of DuPont)
6925 Century Avenue, Suite 700
|Product name:||Tyvek® HomeWrap® Breather Type Sheathing Membrane|
|Code compliance:||NBC 2015, NBC 2020, OBC|
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
Code compliance opinion
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated product, when used as a breather type sheathing membrane in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, complies with the following codes:
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
|09-27-03-02-00-0-00||188.8.131.52. Sheathing Membrane Material Standard||Alternative|
National Building Code of Canada 2020
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
|184.108.40.206.||220.127.116.11. Sheathing Membrane Material Standard||Alternative|
Ontario Building Code
Ruling No. 09-37-235 (12808-R) authorizing the use of this product in Ontario, subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Ruling, was made by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on 2009-12-30 (revised 2017-03-24) pursuant to s.29 of the Building Code Act, 1992 (see Ruling for terms and conditions). This Ruling is subject to periodic revisions and updates.
The above opinion is based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
Product nameTyvek® HomeWrap® Breather Type Sheathing Membrane
The product is a white, spun-bonded olefin material that is made by combining continuous fibres of high-density polyethylene into a sheet using a heat and pressure process. The material allows to resist the passage of bulk moisture while maintaining a high degree of moisture vapour permeability.
The product is 0.15 mm thick and is available in rolls ranging in widths from 0.91 m to 2.90 m and lengths from 30.5 m to 60.9 m. The roll material is applied over the exterior sheathing material so that it forms a continuous envelope under the cladding system, around the entire building. The Figure 1 illustrates the application of the product.
This evaluation is valid only for products produced at the following plant:
|Product name||Manufacturing plant|
|Richmond, VA, US|
|Tyvek® HomeWrap® Breather Type Sheathing Membrane||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- The product can be used as a breather-type sheathing membrane under commonly used types of exterior cladding to reduce the risk of water infiltration. The main purpose of the product is to create a continuous envelope around the occupied areas of residential or light commercial construction. Such continuity is achieved by overlapping the membrane per Article 18.104.22.168., Required Sheathing Membrane and Installation, of Division B of the NBC 2015 and NBC 2020 (joints must be lapped not less than 100 mm) or sealing the product either to itself (using CCMC-evaluated contractor sheathing tape), or to other construction materials (using an acoustical sealant). Where a CCMC-evaluated tape is required to provide continuity, its adhesion over the membrane must be validated. The membrane continuity at penetrations is beyond the scope of this evaluation and must be achieved according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- A conforming installation must be:
- installed with the printed side facing outward;
- protected from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun within 60 days;
- installed according to Article 22.214.171.124.;
- installed with a minimum 10-mm air space between the sheathing membrane and the cladding, unless the cladding has been deemed to not require an air space (i.e., deemed by the CCMC or by building officials based on past cladding performance); and
- installed with the material overlapping 100 mm to 150 mm at vertical joints and 100 mm at horizontal joints. Note: Joints must be taped and sealed around both window and door openings.
- A concealed air space exceeding 25 mm in width must contain proper fire blocking in accordance with Subsection 9.10.16., Fire Blocks, of Division B of the NBC 2015 and NBC 2020.
- The product must be clearly identified with the phrase “CCMC 12808-R.”
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-072510.03-15||CCMC Technical Guide for Sheathing Membrane, Breather Type|
|CCMC-TG-072510.03-20||CCMC Technical Guide for Sheathing Membrane, Breather Type|
The evaluation holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC’s evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
|Sheet width (tolerance)||mm||≥ –6||Pass|
|Water vapour permeance||ng/(Pa·s·m2 )||≥ 170|
|Water ponding||–||No leakage||PassTable footnote (1)|
|Tensile strength||after ultraviolet radiation (UV) exposure||
% retention of original
|after UV and heat aging||
|Water vapour permeance of UV- and heat-aged samples||ng/(Pa·s·m2 )||≥ 170||1600|
|Water ponding of UV- and heat-aged samples||–||No leakage||PassTable footnote (1)|
Use of Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) assessments
This assessment must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments, any applicable building code or by-law requirements, and/or any other regulatory requirements (for example, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.).
It is the responsibility of the user to confirm that the assessment they are using is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later version on the CCMC Registry of Product Assessments.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has evaluated only the characteristics of the specific product described herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (such as authorities having jurisdiction, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is valid when the product is used as part of permitted construction, respecting all conditions and limitations stated in the evaluation, and in accordance with applicable building codes and by-laws.
This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty or guarantee of any kind, expressed or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated product. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use of or reliance on the information contained herein or the use of any evaluated product. The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2023
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.