[CCMC 13637-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated product, when used as an interior finish on walls for manufactured housing in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, complies with the following code:
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
|09-10-17-01-00-0-00||18.104.22.168. Flame-Spread Rating of Interior Surfaces||Acceptable|
|09-29-05-02-00-0-00||22.214.171.124.(1) Gypsum products shall conform to ...||Alternative|
|09-29-05-03-00-0-00||126.96.36.199.(1) Maximum spacing of supports for gypsum b ...||Alternative|
|09-29-05-08-00-0-00||188.8.131.52. Spacing of Nails||Alternative|
The above opinion(s) is/are based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
The product is made from either a 7.9 mm (nominal) thick gypsum board, or a 12.4 mm (nominal) thick gypsum board, laminated with vinyl on one side. The gypsum board is manufactured in accordance with ASTM C 1396/C 1396M-13, “Standard Specification for Gypsum Board.” The vinyl is a 4 mil printed wallboard vinyl.
This evaluation is limited to products produced at the following plants:
|Product name||Manufacturing plants|
|Calgary, AB, CA||Oka, QC, CA|
|Okaroc||Product evaluated by the CCMC||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- The product is intended to be used for the interior finish of exterior and interior walls of manufactured, single-family detached, one-storey houses only.
- The product must be installed parallel to framing and include perpendicular let-in furring. The framing must not be spaced more than 600 mm on centre (o.c.) and must comply with Table 184.108.40.206., Size and Spacing of Studs, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- An air barrier system must be installed as per Subsection 9.25.3., Air Barrier Systems, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- The product must not be used to support insulation.
- The product must not be used for the protection of foamed plastics.
- The product must not be used where a fire separation is required.
- The boards must be installed over furring or framing that complied with the requirements of the NBC 2015 using adhesive. The adhesive must be third-party or CCMC-evaluated to CAN/CGSB-71.25-M88, “Adhesives, for Bonding Drywall to Wood Framing and Metal Studs,” or ASTM C 557-03(2017), “Standard Specification for Adhesives for Fastening Gypsum Wallboard to Wood Framing.”
- A vapour barrier must be installed as per Subsection 9.25.4., Vapour Barriers, of Division B of the NBC 2015
- The product application in walls around baths and showers is beyond the scope of this evaluation.
- The product must not be used by itself where braced wall panelling is required to meet specific seismic resistance requirements:
- In locations where the seismic, Sa(0.2), is less than 0.70 or the 1-in-50 hourly wind pressure is less than 0.80 kPa (refer to Division B of NBC 2015 Table C-2 and C-3 in Appendix C for locations of low to moderate wind and seismic zones), the exterior walls must be sheathed with oriented strandboard (OSB) as per Article 220.127.116.11., Thickness, Rating and Material Standards, and fastened in accordance with Table 18.104.22.168.-A, Fasteners for Subflooring and for Sheathing, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- In locations where the seismic, Sa(0.2), is greater than 0.70 but not more than 1.8, and the 1-in-50 hourly wind pressure is less than 1.20 kPa (refer to Table C-2 and Table C-3 in Appendix C of Division B of the NBC 2015 for locations of high wind and seismic zones), bracing to resist lateral load must be designed and constructed in accordance with Article 22.214.171.124., Braced Wall Bands, to Article 126.96.36.199., Additional System Considerations, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- The staples for the vinyl laminated gypsum board must be installed at 150 mm o.c. around the perimeter. The staples must be minimum 16 gauge with 6.35 mm crown and 31.75 mm leg.
- Due to not achieving the minimum racking load, when the 12.4 mm board is used as the interior finish of exterior walls, exterior wall sheathing must be installed in accordance with Subsection 9.23.17., Wall Sheathing, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- The product must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions dated 04/05/2021.
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-092915-15||CCMC Technical Guide for vinyl-laminated gypsum used as an interior finish (non-structural applications only)|
The Report Holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC’s evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
|Property||Unit||Requirement||7.9 mm result||12.4 mm result|
|Flexural strength (Method B)Table footnote (1) – bearing edges perpendicular to panel length||N||≥ 476||Pass||Pass|
|Flexural strength (Method B) Table footnote (1)– bearing edges parallel to panel length)||N||≥ 160||Pass||Pass|
|Humidified deflection (Method B)Table footnote (1)||mm||≤ 32||Pass||Pass|
|Nail pull resistance (Method B)(1)||N||≥ 343||Pass||Pass|
|Hardness (Method B)(1) – core||N||≥ 49||Pass||Pass|
|Hardness (Method B) (1)– end||N||≥ 49||Pass||Pass|
|Hardness (Method B)(1) – edge||N||≥ 49||Pass||Pass|
|Flame-spread rating||–||≤ 150||15||20|
|Property||Unit||7.9 mm controlTable footnote (1)||7.9 mm resultTable footnote (2)||12.4 mm controlTable footnote (1)||12.4 mm result|
|3.5 kN||mm||9.96||8.32Table footnote (3)||3.02||4.71Table footnote (4)|
|7.0 kN||mm||–Table footnote (5)||–Table footnote (5)||19.19||–Table footnote (6)|
|10.5 kN||mm||–Table footnote (5)||–Table footnote (5)||–Table footnote (5)||Table footnote (5)|
|3.5 kN||mm||7.26||5.19Table footnote (3)||1.74||1.46Table footnote (3)|
|7.0 kN||mm||–Table footnote (5)||–Table footnote (5)||14.14||–Table footnote (6)|
|10.5 kN||mm||–Table footnote (5)||–Table footnote (5)||Table footnote (5)||Table footnote (5)|
|3.5 kN||%||73||62Table footnote (3)||57||31Table footnote (3)|
|7.0 kN||%||–Table footnote (5)||–Table footnote (5)||74||–Table footnote (6)|
|10.5 kN||%||–Table footnote (5)||–Table footnote (5)||Table footnote (5)||Table footnote (5)|
|Property||Requirement||7.9 mm result||12.4 mm result|
|Flame-spread rating||≤ 150||15||20|
|Smoke developed classification||≤ 300||– Table footnote (1)||50|
Use of Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) assessments
This assessment must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments, any applicable building code or by-law requirements, and/or any other regulatory requirements (for example, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.).
It is the responsibility of the user to confirm that the assessment they are using is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later version on the CCMC Registry of Product Assessments.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has evaluated only the characteristics of the specific product described herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (such as authorities having jurisdiction, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is valid when the product is used as part of permitted construction, respecting all conditions and limitations stated in the evaluation, and in accordance with applicable building codes and by-laws.
This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty or guarantee of any kind, expressed or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated product. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use of or reliance on the information contained herein or the use of any evaluated product. The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2023
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.