[CCMC 13169-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
|Compliance:||NBC 2015, OBC|
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated product, when used as a material for dampproofing below grade of concrete walls in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, complies with the following code:
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
Ontario Building Code
Ruling No. 09-25-223 (13169-R) authorizing the use of this product in Ontario, subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Ruling, was made by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on 2009-11-27 (revised 2017-09-25) pursuant to s.29 of the Building Code Act, 1992 (see Ruling for terms and conditions). This Ruling is subject to periodic revisions and updates.
The above opinion(s) is/are based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
The product is a black, dimpled high-density polyethylene (HDPE) membrane with a flat tab on one side. The product is available in rolled sheets that are 0.6 mm thick, 20 m long and up to 3.05 m (10 ft.) wide. When two sheets are joined side by side, they must be overlapped by 200 mm to 300 mm with their dimples meshing. When two sheets are joined top to bottom, they must be overlapped by 150 mm. To ensure correct application, the product’s dampproofing system includes a range of accessories such as special trim strips, anchors and nails. Photos of the product are below.
This evaluation is valid only for products produced at the following plant:
|Product name||Manufacturing plant|
|Brampton, ON, CA|
|DMX AG||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- Based on the evidence provided, the product has been classified as Type 2, which can be installed on a vertical wall up to a depth of 3.7 m. Application depths greater than 3.7 m are considered to be outside the scope of this evaluation.
- The product must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions (version 4.6, August 10, 2021).
- The product was evaluated for use against cast-in-place and concrete block foundations only and must cover the foundation wall from the top of the footing to the final grade.
- The product must be used in locations where the foundation wall is well-drained in accordance with Subsection 9.14.2., Foundation Drainage, of Division B of the NBC 2015.
- The product is a dimpled membrane drainage system designed to act as a protective layer or a capillary breaking layer against the foundation wall to protect the wall from transient or intermittent water that may come in contact with the surface of the wall.
- The product must be protected from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun within a maximum of 30 days of its installation.
- Long-term performance of a drainage system will depend on local conditions such as the soil type, hydrogeology of the site, mineralogy and presence of microorganisms in the soil (i.e., iron ochre), as well as compatibility of the filter with the soil, among other issues. This evaluation does not free the project from requiring proper engineering design of the drainage system.
- The top of the membrane and all vertical joints and terminations must be mechanically fastened and sealed to prevent soil particles from entering behind the membrane.
- Pattern and spacing of anchors must be designed considering site-specific issues such as the type of soil and how these will interact with the product, as well as the backfilling method used.
- The product has also been evaluated as a foundation drainage product and is included in the CCMC registry of product assessments under 13182-R.
- The product must be labelled with the manufacturer’s name or logo and the phrase “CCMC 13169-R.”
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-071119.01-15||CCMC Technical Guide for Foundation Wall Dampproofing Systems – Dimpled Membranes|
The evaluation holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC's evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
|Compressive strength (initial)||kPa||150||322.6|
|Dynamic impact resistance (mean failure energy)||J||≥ 2.45||10.8|
|Creep resistance (residual thickness at 25 years/10°C)||%||≥ 40% at 25 years/10°C||87.7|
|Cold bending at –30°C||N/A||No visible crack||No visible crack|
|Tensile strength at yield||kN/m||≥ 8||MDTable footnote (1) 8.3, XD 8.0|
|Tensile strength − elongation at break||%||≥ 25||36.8|
|Heat agingTable footnote (2) − dimensional change||%||≤ 1||MD: –0.6,CD: –0.7|
|Heat aging − weight change||%||≤ –0.1||–0.2Table footnote (3)|
|Heat aging − residual compression strength||%||≥ 80 of initial||97.6|
|Heat aging − creep resistance (residual thickness at 25 years/10°C)||%||≥ 40% at 25 years/10°C||85.5|
|Resistance to alkaline environment − appearance||N/A||No visible crack||No visible crack|
|Resistance to alkaline environment − residual compression strength||%||≥ 80 of initial||94.7|
|Resistance to alkaline environment − cold bending at -30°C||N/A||No cracks at room temperature||No visible crack|
|Geometrical properties − orientation of dimples||−||Report value||Perpendicular|
|Geometrical properties − number of dimples per unit area||Dimples/m2||Report value||1 676|
|Geometrical properties − overall thickness||mm||Report value||7.67|
|Geometrical properties − sheet thickness||mm||Report value||0.58|
|Geometrical properties − hollow core thickness||mm||≥ 5.0||7.09|
|Anchorage performance||kN/anchor||Report value||0.406|
Use of Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) assessments
This assessment must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments, any applicable building code or by-law requirements, and/or any other regulatory requirements (for example, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.).
It is the responsibility of the user to confirm that the assessment they are using is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later version on the CCMC Registry of Product Assessments.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has evaluated only the characteristics of the specific product described herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (such as authorities having jurisdiction, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is valid when the product is used as part of permitted construction, respecting all conditions and limitations stated in the evaluation, and in accordance with applicable building codes and by-laws.
This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty or guarantee of any kind, expressed or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated product. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use of or reliance on the information contained herein or the use of any evaluated product. The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2023
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.