[CCMC 13099-R] CCMC Canadian code compliance evaluation
From: National Research Council Canada
SUPERSEAL Dimpled Membrane
|Compliance:||NBC 2015, NBC 2020, OBC|
In most jurisdictions this document is sufficient evidence for approval by Canadian authorities.Learn more about CCMC recognition Look for the trusted CCMC mark on products to verify compliance.
It is the opinion of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre that the evaluated product, when used as dampproofing for basement walls in accordance with the conditions and limitations stated in this evaluation, complies with the following codes:
National Building Code of Canada 2015
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
National Building Code of Canada 2020
|ID||Code provision||Solution type|
Ontario Building Code
Ruling No. 09-29-227 (13099-R) authorizing the use of this product in Ontario, subject to the terms and conditions contained in the Ruling, was made by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on 2009-11-27 (revised 2017-03-31) pursuant to s.29 of the Building Code Act, 1992 (see Ruling for terms and conditions). This Ruling is subject to periodic revisions and updates.
The above opinion(s) is/are based on the evaluation by the CCMC of technical evidence provided by the evaluation holder, and is bound by the stated conditions and limitations. For the benefit of the user, a summary of the technical information that forms the basis of this evaluation has been included.
SUPERSEAL Dimpled Membrane
The product is a black high-density polyethylene, quasi-rigid plastic sheet membrane, extruded in a manner that results in a dimpled surface on one side and a smooth surface on the other. The dimpled surface provides an air gap between the concrete wall and the adjacent soil.
The product is available in rolls that are 0.635 mm thick, 20 m long, and up to 4 m wide.
To ensure correct application, the products must be installed as part of the dampproofing system with appropriate accessories, such as fasteners, washers and moulding strips, as recommended by the manufacturer.
This evaluation is valid only for products produced at the following plant:
|Product name||Manufacturing plant|
|SUPERSEAL Dimpled Membrane||Product evaluated by the CCMC|
Product evaluated by the CCMC Indicates that the product from this manufacturing facility has been evaluated by the CCMC
Conditions and limitations
The CCMC’s compliance opinion is bound by this product being used in accordance with the conditions and limitations set out below.
- Based on the evidence provided, the product has been classified as Type 2 (applications up to depths of 3.7 m).
- The product must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation manual. In the event of conflict between the manufacturer’s instructions and this evaluation, this evaluation shall govern.
- The product was evaluated for use against cast-in-place concrete and concrete block foundations only.
- The product must cover the foundation wall from the top of the footing to the final grade.
- Cast-in-place concrete and concrete block foundation walls shall have all holes and recesses sealed with mortar. The product must be installed on surfaces that are clean, dry and free of the following: ice, snow, frost, dust, dirt, oil, grease, cracks, projections and depressions, loose particles, and debris.
- The product must be used in locations where the foundation wall is well drained, in accordance with Subsection 9.14.2., Foundation Drainage, of Division B of the NBC 2015 and 2020. The product is a dimpled membrane drainage system designed to act as a capillary breaking layer against the foundation wall to protect the wall from transient or intermittent water that may come in contact with the surface of the wall.
- The products must be protected from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) sunlight within a maximum of 6 months of their installation.
- The top of the membrane and all vertical joints and terminations must be mechanically fastened with trims, moulding strips, termination bars or other accessories to prevent soil particles from entering behind the membrane. Accessories used to anchor the products are part of the evaluation.
- The performance of fixtures used to anchor the products in the wall was evaluated for a single anchor. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to define the pattern and spacing of anchors, considering the anchor strength as well as the site-specific issues such as the type of soil, how it will interact with the products, as well as the backfilling method used.
- The products' label and/or packaging must be clearly identified with the manufacturer’s name or logo and “CCMC 13099-R.”
This evaluation is based on demonstrated conformance with the following criteria:
|Criteria number||Criteria name|
|CCMC-TG-071119.01-15||CCMC Technical Guide for Foundation Wall Dampproofing Systems – Dimpled Membranes|
|CCMC-TG-071119.01-20||CCMC Technical Guide for Foundation Wall Dampproofing Systems – Dimpled Membranes|
The evaluation holder has submitted technical documentation for the CCMC’s evaluation. Testing was conducted at laboratories recognized by the CCMC. The corresponding technical evidence for this product is summarized below.
|Compressive strength (initial)||kPa||≥ 150||211|
|Dynamic impact resistance (mean failure energy)||J||≥ 2.45||14.0|
|Creep resistance (residual thickness at 25 years/10°C)||%||≥ 40% at 25 years/10°C||54|
|Cold bending at –30°C||N/A||No visible crack||No visible crack|
|Tensile strength – at yield||kN/m||≥ 8||MD 10,
XD 10Table footnote (1)
|Tensile strength – elongation at break in cross direction||%||≥ 25||XD 32|
|Tensile strength – anisotropy ratio||–||≥ 0.5||0.97|
|Heat aging for 2 weeks – dimensional change||%||≤ 1||
–0.9 (length), –0.8 (width), –0.4 (thickness)
|Heat aging for 2 weeks – weight change||%||≤ 0.1||0.07|
|Heat aging for 2 weeks – residual compression strength||%||≥ 80% of initial||92|
|Resistance to alkaline environment – appearance||N/A||No visible crack||No visible crack|
|Resistance to alkaline environment – residual compression strength||%||≥ 80% of initial||111|
|Resistance to alkaline environment – appearance (cold bending at –30°C)||N/A||No cracks at room temperature||No visible crack|
|UV resistance – residual compression strength||%||≥ 80% of initial||103|
|UV resistance – oxidation induction time (OIT) after 500 hours of UV exposure||min.||5||25.2Table footnote (2)|
|Orientation of dimples||–||Report value||Diagonal|
|Number of dimples per unit area||Dimples/m2||Report value||1 885|
|Overall thickness||mm||Report value||7.80|
|Sheet thickness||mm||Report value||0.60|
|Hollow core thickness||mm||≥ 5||7.10|
|Anchorage performance||kN/anchor||Report value||0.93|
Use of Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) assessments
This assessment must be read in the context of the entire CCMC Registry of Product Assessments, any applicable building code or by-law requirements, and/or any other regulatory requirements (for example, the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.).
It is the responsibility of the user to confirm that the assessment they are using is current and has not been withdrawn or superseded by a later version on the CCMC Registry of Product Assessments.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has evaluated only the characteristics of the specific product described herein. The information and opinions in this evaluation are directed to those who have the appropriate degree of experience to use and apply its contents (such as authorities having jurisdiction, design professionals and specifiers). This evaluation is valid when the product is used as part of permitted construction, respecting all conditions and limitations stated in the evaluation, and in accordance with applicable building codes and by-laws.
This evaluation is provided without representation, warranty or guarantee of any kind, expressed or implied, and the NRC provides no endorsement for any evaluated product. The NRC accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising in any way from any and all use of or reliance on the information contained herein or the use of any evaluated product. The NRC is not undertaking to render professional or other services on behalf of any person or entity nor to perform any duty owed by any person or entity to another person or entity.
Une version française de ce document est disponible.
In the case of any discrepancy between the English and French version of this document, the English version shall prevail.
© His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, as represented by the National Research Council of Canada, 2023
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the CCMC.