The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) is seeking candidates to serve on the Canadian Commission on Construction Materials Evaluation (CCCME). The CCCME was established by the NRC to provide policy advice on matters relating to the operation of the Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) within the NRC's Construction Research Centre—and to ensure the reliability and quality of the CCMC's technical decisions and reporting.
The CCMC offers a national assessment service for innovative construction materials, products, systems and services used in all types of buildings. Its assessments are based on the requirements of the National Building Code of Canada and informed by the latest technical research and expertise.
- Members are expected to exercise broad, objective judgment and are chosen for their individual experience and abilities rather than as delegates or representatives of any particular association or group
- Members are selected from a variety of backgrounds to ensure that the Commission can address both policy and technical issues while representing interests from different regions across Canada, sectors of the construction industry, and users of the evaluation, technical information and listing services offered by the CCMC
- Members are not permitted to name alternates
The Commission is currently seeking a balance of representation from the following sectors:
- Regulatory: provincial, territorial and municipal building officials and municipal administrators
- Manufacturing: building material, product and system manufacturers
- CCMC evaluation users: architects, engineers, contractors, specification writers, and private and federal agencies with an ownership mandate
- General: those associated with the construction industry in an independent capacity (this may include independent research, testing and certification agencies)
Appointment process and duration
- A Chair's Selection Committee assists the Chair of the CCCME based on experience, expertise and capabilities, and recommends nominees for appointment to the Commission. The members of the CCCME are appointed by the NRC
- Appointments to the CCCME do not carry remuneration, but travel and accommodation expenses incurred as a result of participating in Commission meetings (typically held once a year) are reimbursed by the NRC.
- The term of appointment is normally 3 years. Members may be reappointed for additional terms as long as a reasonable degree of membership rotation is maintained
- New appointments and reappointments will be effective as of October 1, 2021
Submit your appointment
Individuals interested in serving on the CCCME are asked to email a resume with details of their professional history to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2021. Individuals are encouraged to indicate whether they belong to an equity-seeking group, as the National Research Council of Canada recognizes the value of diversity of perspectives and experiences within its workforce and committees.